Sunday, August 25, 2019

Frontier Town - Ocean City, Maryland


Frontier Town is a cool little park themed to the old west that’s celebrating 60 years in 2019. I guess it’s kind of like Knott’s Berry Farm before they started adding all the rides – as far as rides here go, there's not much more than a train and stagecoach, as was typical of parks like this built in the 1950s and 60s. The main attraction at Frontier Town is the western style shows, and there are all kinds, with everything from gunfights to the can-can playing out at some point during the day. In fact, when one show ends, another one begins shortly, so that’s the real appeal of Frontier Town.
The main entrance is simple and feels like it's been unchanged for years, and that spirit remains true throughout the entire park.
 Here's the town square, the main location where the park's shows happen during the day.
Shortly after the opening flag raising, the cattle came parading up the dusty trail! They played the theme from "Rawhide" during this bit, and I swear that I heard the "rolling, rolling, rolling" soundtrack at least five times during our visit. 

Also part of the opening ceremonies is this stagecoach, which gives rides through the backwoods of the park. Leaning out the window you can see "Desert Dan," who provided comedic relief (saying that my dad looked like his lost mule, for instance). 
 Here's one of those gun shows I was referring to. Even though they're all obviously fake, the actors were very upfront in extolling the dangers of their firearms.
 This train is the main ride here, and it runs off of real steam power. I've seen many pictures of this type of miniature locomotive being run at amusement parks, but they've been slowly eliminated over time. I guess most parks don't think that it's worth the effort to keep a complex machine like this running.


In the foreground is the body of water in which Frontier Town once had a riverboat ride, and although it is not operating anymore, the boat is still sitting out in the open. Predictably, the train ride also involves a robbery! I'm terrified.


 Much less complicated than the iron horse is this horse-powered merry-go-round.
There are some old "peek-in" dioramas around the park, like this Chinese laundry.
I was considering getting my cavity filled by "Dr. Yank'em," but now that I see this, I'm having second thoughts.
Through the blinding dust, you can see the saloon. Let's go there...
On the porch of the building, we see this old miner taking a look at a very strange-faced lady. The miner has been a Frontier Town icon for decades.
 Inside is the perfect venue for can-can shows.
At showtime, this place was packed!
 This stadium is the location for the "Great Western Stampede," a variety show. In this picture, you can see the buckboards that sped around the ring. There was also an eleven-year-old performer here, riding two horses at once while standing up!
On the way to the Indian Village is the "Mysterious Mine," a small tilt house with wacky, slanted floors.
 The Indian Village is the home of Native American dances, which are all presented very well with lots of historical "fact vs. fiction" background info.
 I love the humorous graves of the "Boot Hill" cemetery!


Frontier Town was a wonderful trip back into time when small, roadside attractions like this existed. Sure, they've added a waterpark and campground since then, but I'm glad that management sees value in keeping the western town around. It's all fueled by extremely corny humor,  but if you can get yourself to enjoy that (and we all really can if we try...) you'll like Frontier Town. Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Looks like a charming park. Quite a bit of it reminds me of aspects of Knott's Berry Farm. Especially the peek-ins and bench statues for photo ops.

I really love the "Dr. Yank'em" signage, but my favorite of all is the opening cattle parade and horses. Nothing says Frontier like real living animals.

Thoroughly enjoyed this post. Thanks,Andrew.

Andrew said...

K. Martinez, I was surprised to see the live animals. There were also some goats, as well as ponies just for riding. I didn't even know that the big cattle were part of the park until they came walking down the street!

Chuck said...

I'm glad they have the live animals since live animals were a key part of the Old West.

I remember seeing the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show at Disneyland Paris with my wife during an 8-day break in the middle of a 5-month deployment to Bosnia back in the late '90s. Part of the show was a "night-time" cattle drive scene, complete with cowboys, a campfire, and evocative harmonica music. This unexpected bit of Americana coupled with memories of my years in Oklahoma cattle country and sheer homesickness drove me to tear up. It was a good kind of cry.

Yeah, live animals are always a nice touch.

I need to visit this place. Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

Major Pepperidge said...

It's interesting to see what it looks like today when comparing it to the old photos on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

TokyoMagic! said...

Like Ken, this park also reminds me very much of Knott's Berry Farm. Knott's still has their laundry and dentist peek-ins. Although, two years ago, they took the figures out of most of their peek-ins (after being there since the 1940's!) Knott's even used to have one of those animal powered merry-go-rounds, but they also got rid of it after many decades.

Frontier Town looks like a lot of fun! Hopefully, they will hang onto their miniature train ride!

Andrew said...

Chuck, I don't know why some parks get rid of their live animals; kids always seem to love them! That Buffalo Bill show at Disneyland Paris sounds really cool!

Andrew said...

Major Pepperidge, I had a lot of fun comparing my current pictures with your "vintage" collection. I found it interesting that some elements - like the Pecos Bill statue and "tooth" sign above the dentist office - are virtually identical to what they looked like 50-60 years ago!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I have no idea how I know about this, but I think that the Knott's peek-in figures were removed for their Ghost Town Alive event, since guests were allowed to enter the buildings during it. Apparently once Ghost Town Alive ended, the statues never came back. I also saw someone say that they might've been vandalized during Haunt, but hopefully that's not the case. Let's hope that they're still in storage with plans to return someday.

JG said...

Andrew, this is a fun little park, I would love to visit. As others noted, it has a lot in common with old Knotts, and part of that for me is the "handy-hands-at-home" where so much looks like it was made by the park operators at home instead of a ultra-modern 3D CAD-CAM workshop.

I don't think anyone ever thought the Knotts figures were real, but it was fun anyway, maybe even because of them not being very convincing. I remember when my Dad paid the operator of "Weary Willie" to talk to me. I knew he was a dummy, but how did he know how old I was, or what color my shirt was, being made of wood. Afterward, Dad showed me the periscope where the operator looked around the corner to see who was talking to Willie. Lots of fun for a five year old.

Great work. Thank you.

JG

Andrew said...

JG, it certainly is awesome when parks retain these hand-built touches.

That's pretty funny about you and "Weary Willie." I know about "Sad Eyed Joe" at Knott's; was this a different figure?

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, you’re right, it was Sad-Eye Joe! I realized after I posted that Weary Willie was Emmett Kelly’s clown, that Red Skelton modeled Freddy the Freeloader after.

I’m sorry, it was a long time ago, things blur with the passing of years. Thanks for your hard work, lots to like here.

JG