Thursday, October 17, 2019

Conneaut Lake Park's Abandoned Toboggan

Conneaut Lake Park in Pennsylvania was home to a Toboggan portable roller coaster for a number of years in the early 2000s. For those not familiar, a Toboggan is a flat ride made by Chance Rides that involves a vertical climb through an enclosed tube in a small coaster car, after which riders spiral around the outside of the tube to ground level. At this point in the ride, there are a series of small dips, which the guests traverse before returning to the station. From 2002 to 2006, it ran at Conneaut near the lakefront. In 2007 and 2008, Conneaut Lake Park didn't open, and when the park reopened 2009, the Toboggan didn't, so it was abandoned and left to rot at the same location through 2013.
2013
 In 2014, the Toboggan was collapsed into its "trailered" position (as it is a portal model) and moved to the Conneaut Lake parking lot, where it sits to this day. In 2018, my dad and I made the walk back to it to take some pictures of the ride. Although it appears to be in a state that will not allow it to operate again, it's cool to see this relic of amusement history past nonetheless.
 Much of the track is stacked haphazardly on an adjacent trailer to the one with the lift tube. 
 Seen here is the ride's sign, light bulbs intact!
 Some plant life is starting to cover the ride.
 One of the cars (and maybe more) remain in the tube.
 I hope you have enjoyed this unique look at a Chance Toboggan!

9 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I wonder if the ride was structurally unsound? It's so sad when one of these old rides closes forever. I assume that this ride dates back to... the 30's? 40's? I wonder how many of them are still in working order. Seeing the ride rusting away in that field is so sad!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I'm just wondering how the rider/car "went up" the middle of the tube?? The rider must have been facing straight up, on their back, I'd assume . . . seems a little scary for the ride up, but I'm sure it was fun coming down!

Thanks for your interesting posts!

Sue

Andrew said...

Major Pepperidge, this ride is probably from around the 70s, so it's not too sad to see it here, but not really, as there's only one permanent model left running in the entire country. My guess on its closure is that they likely couldn't find parts for it any more. Thanks for reading!

Andrew said...

Sue, yep, the car would instantly turn to a completely vertical position in the tube to get to the top. I've read some accounts where it was described as extremely claustrophobic! I've never been on a Toboggan, so I guess I'll just have to wait until I can go to Wisconsin to ride one.

I'm glad you're enjoying my site!

TokyoMagic! said...

Sad! And also a bit creepy, the way it is sitting out there all by itself, with "nature" starting to cover it over. Did you have to climb up on top of the trailer in order to get that pic showing the sign?

I remember seeing one of these rides at the Pike in Long Beach, as a kid, and then finally getting to ride one as a teenager, at the Los Angeles County Fair.

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, that's great that you've been on a Toboggan! I'm jealous. Do you remember what the vertical lift hill experience was like? And yes, I do think that I climbed up on the trailer to get the picture of the sign. I'm quite the rule-breaker when it comes to amusement parks... ;)

TokyoMagic! said...

I do remember what it was like. Of course, you are completely on your back while going up that tube. And it was a very tight fit for the car in there, so there was somewhat of a claustrophobic feeling until you reached the top!

I used to be a little bit of a rule-breaker at amusement parks, when I was younger, but not anymore!

K. Martinez said...

I don't know how I missed this one. I loved watching this classic in action. Especially when the ride vehicle came out on top and made it's sharp turn, but the ride vehicle was a tad too small for my enjoyment and I didn't like the claustrophobic feeling of being encased in a long tube. Not fun. Still a lot of fun on a visual level. Thanks, Andrew.

Andrew said...

K. Martinez, like I said before, I really want to experience a Toboggan for myself one day! I assume that I'd enjoy it, but you never know... the overall look of them is the main thing that sticks in my mind.