Thursday, December 12, 2019

Kennywood's Holiday Lights

Kennywood, my "home" amusement park in Pittsburgh, does a Christmas light display every year. I haven't visited since 2015, but I still have some nice pictures to share!

Titled "Holiday Lights" here, these displays have been popping up at parks all over the country in the past few years - they're a great way to extend the season by several weekends. Kennywood has been doing theirs since 2011.



 Kennywood doesn't run any of its roller coasters during the event, but there are some smaller flat rides, like the Paratrooper, Carousel, and Pirate, available.
This giant snowman is not an inflatable!
 This "tunnel" of lights is one of the first things you see when you enter the park, but I took this shot at the end of the night when everyone had left.
 There's a miniature train layout, of course with a miniature amusement park; it even features a model of Kennywood's own Thunderbolt as well as a working replica of the Turtle!
 Almost every lightbulb is changed in the park to Christmas colors, and lots of trees are wrapped in strings of lights. It must take quite an effort to transition between Halloween and this so quickly.
 The state's largest Christmas tree is a sight to behold - 90 feet tall!
Thanks for reading, have a great Christmas, and don't forget the reason for the season! I'm hoping to maybe visit Kings Dominion in Virginia's Winterfest by the end of December, so lookout for a possible post from that.

10 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I didn't realize Kennywood was your "home" amusement park. What a great park it is. For the traditional parks it's the best in my opinion.

It's amazing how both Halloween and Christmas have become major eventS for many traditional and themed amusement parks. It does extend operating season so it makes sense.

I've always been fascinated by the miniature roller coasters, but I have so much stuff already like Lionel Trains and villages that I need that stuff like a hole in the head.

Nice nativity at the end and a perfect way to end the post. Thanks, Andrew! In case you don't post again this month, I want to wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season. Merry Christmas!

Andrew said...

Thanks for reading, K. Martinez! Kennywood is pretty great, even if I sometimes don't appreciate it as much as I should.

I would love to have a model roller coaster like that. It seems like the K'Nex models are probably the most affordable options available. Also, I always say that I will have a real model train layout when I'm an adult, as I've loved them since I was little.

Merry Christmas to you as well, Ken!

"Lou and Sue" said...

I can imagine Christmas music playing while strolling around this park, enjoying the beautiful lights and displays. Thanks for sharing these, Andrew!

Merry Christmas to you and your family - and all your readers, too!

Sue

Chuck said...

My bride and I just went to Six Flags' St Louis' "Holiday in the Park" last weekend. I love the trend of parks decorating with lights (and staying open extra weekends) over the past few years, a tradition that seems to have spilled over from zoos.

Kennywood's "official" Christmas tree is impressive. They do one at the Toledo Zoo that my wife jokes can be seen from space, surrounded by a park completely bathed in colored lights. But it's not Ohio's tallest Christmas tree.

SFSTL had all of their coasters running except for the Screamin' Eagle, located in the back section of the park that wasn't open to the public, and Boomerang, which is down for heavy maintenance. Despite this, we didn't ride any; in fact, we didn't ride any rides at all. Instead, we took in a couple of shows and just walked around, looked at the lights, bought stuff (you win this round, Six Flags Marketing), and generally had a great time.

SFSTL also has a large Nativity scene, located at the apex of two arching ivy "tunnels." Spotlit, it really helps remind guests why we celebrate the holiday in the first place.

I'll echo Ken and Sue's sentiments and wish a blessed and safe Christmas to you and yours. keep up the great work!

TokyoMagic! said...

That "tunnel of lights" reminds me a bit of the "Osborne Family Lights" from WDW. I guess Star Wars Land put a stop to that light display!

I love the miniatures of the rides. They remind me of the miniature amusement park that was a part of the Progress City model, at the end of the Carousel of Progress (when it was at Disneyland). I'm not sure if that part of the model made it to WDW, or if that was one of the sections of the model that was chopped off and discarded.

I hope you do get to go to King's Dominion during your vacation. And if you do, have a safe trip! And I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Andrew said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the post, Sue! Merry Christmas!

Andrew said...

I've heard that the Six Flags Christmas events are really good, Chuck. I've never been to one (or any Six Flags park yet...), but maybe someday! That's pretty cool that you got to go to SFSL in the first place, even if you didn't ride any coasters. With that park's three great "woodies," I want to go there soon! Have a blessed Christmas as well, and I appreciate your always fun-to-read comments!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic, Kennywood has some nice lights, but those Osborne lights look like they were truly on another level. I got to see the Streets of America when I visited WDW in 2014, but it was July, so I missed the light show. I've seen videos, though! :)

I'm almost certain at least some of the amusement park is still in the Progress City model. There's a still-intact double Ferris Wheel that always jumps out to me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Merry Christmas, Andrew!

Sue

Andrew said...

Thanks for the wish, Sue! I had a good day.