Thursday, January 9, 2020

Kings Dominion Winterfest

I got to visit Winterfest at Kings Dominion on one of the last days of 2019, and I had a fun time. Enjoy the pictures and captions!
Kings Dominion is located in Doswell, Virginia, right outside of Richmond. Approaching the park, it's impossible to miss the 300-foot tall, 1/3 scale replica of the Eiffel Tower that serves as the park's centerpiece. During the regular season, it is used as an observation deck. And of course, the opportunity to turn it into a massive tree is not lost at this time of year!
 Unlike Kennywood's Christmas event, Kings Dominion actually runs a couple of their coasters in the winter weather! This is Dominator, a floorless coaster that is always a good time. The "interlocking corkscrews" seen here are quite intense.
The main reason I wanted to visit Winterfest, though, was for this ride, Twisted Timbers. Designed by Rocky Mountain Construction, Twisted Timbers is a truly wild ride that is one of my all-time favorites. In 2018, RMC took Kings Dominion's old Hurler wooden coaster, which was getting quite rough, and gave it an all-new treatment with their steel track. This included a new and unique "barrel roll" first drop. Although the majority of the ride stays close to the ground, Twisted Timbers is a ride that shouldn't be underestimated.
 At 5:30, the Eiffel Tower was lit in Christmas lights to really kick off the event. Right behind the sign in this picture is a large ice skating rink on the fountain that typically occupies this area ("International Street"). One of the cool things about the Eiffel Tower as a Christmas tree is that you can walk underneath it, which gives you this view:
It's quite the sensation in person!

One of the other rides that is operational for Winterfest is the park's antique car ride, in this case enhanced with lighted displays corresponding to the "12 Days of Christmas" carol.
 To end this trip around Kings Dominion, I present you with the Singing Mushrooms. A component of the park since its opening, these animatronic mushrooms (and accompanying cigar-smoking frog) left in the 1990s, but they returned for the park's 40th anniversary in 2014.  But wait a minute... animatronic mushrooms? I know that sounds really weird, but that's what makes them cool! They are a gem of theme park whimsy and always make me smile.

Kings Dominion puts on a great and well-polished Christmas event that's a fun time. Although only a portion of the park is open, there's still plenty to do, but be warned that lines can get long on the weekends.

8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I had no idea that Kings Dominion did something like this in the Winter season. The lights on the Eiffel Tower replica look very cool, both from afar and from underneath the structure.

I remember first being aware of this park, after seeing it in the 1977 film, Rollercoaster. They even showed the animatronic mushrooms singing in about various Hanna-Barbera characters. Being a theme park fan, I would recommend the film to you, Andrew. It also includes footage of Magic Mountain in California (before Six Flags owned it) and Ocean View Park in Norfolk Virginia, which was closed and torn down the following year.

I have never been to King's Dominion, but my brother visited in 1979, and brought me back a large-sized map of the park. It shows all of The Lost World attractions (with their giant volcano structure), as being brand new that year. I've heard that all of those attractions have since been torn down. ;-(

Thanks for sharing your trip and photos with us, Andrew!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic, I had no idea that there were scenes of the Singing Mushrooms in Rollercoaster. I've definitely heard about the film and looked into watching it, but I would have to purchase it. It's definitely on my list to do, though. I have seen The Death of Ocean View Park on YouTube, and it's quite the film, with how they blow up the coaster and everything. Very good (but not because of a demolished wooden coaster, I guess...)!

The Lost World mountain was one of he coolest thing att Kings Dominion,a nd when it opened it had a darkride, a flume ride, and a Rotor. Around 1996, I believe, it was converted into an insane roller coaster called Volcano: The Blast Coaster that launched you right up through the crater. I got to ride it once in 2015 before it closed in 2018, when it was demolished due to structural issues. I agree it's a shame that the darkrides of the Lost World are gone, but it's even worse that the mountain was just recently completely flattened. Thanks for reading!

"Lou and Sue" said...

I love the animatronic singing mushrooms! They remind me of the Food Rocks attraction/show at Epcot - which I enjoyed (and was sad to see go).

Another FUN park - thanks, Andrew! :)

Sue

Chuck said...

I went to the King's Island version of Winterfest in December of '92 with my then-girlfriend, her visiting English cousin, and a gaggle of her friends from high school. With a similar entrance layout, they also had ice skating in front of the Eiffel Tower. It was fun, but not the great time we'd hoped for.

I remember it was really cold, and my GF was completely exhausted because her parents had put her cousin in her bedroom and made her sleep on the couch in the living room...right next to the dining room table where the family would congregate until like 1 a.m. The poor woman was getting no sleep and was really crabby. I still married her anyway. :-)

Thanks again for sharing, Andrew!

Andrew said...

Sue, that's a funny comparison to Food Rocks - I had never thought of it before. Did you ever see "Kitchen Kabaret," which preceded "Food Rocks?" Those both look like they were really wacky shows! I'm glad you liked this post.

Andrew said...

Chuck, I know that Kings Island did Winterfest back then but only for a little bit. They have brought it back within the last few years, however, just like a lot of Cedar Fair parks, including Kings Dominion (although they didn't have one in 90s). That's funny that your main memory from your visit involves your crabby girlfriend. :) Thanks for the comment!

Chuck said...

It's memories like that that a marriage is built on...and we've been happily married more than 26 years. :-)

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I don't recall ever seeing Kitchen Kabaret. I loved the music for Food Rocks - they used all popular songs.

Sue