Thursday, March 12, 2020

The Old Mill is Coming Back!

 The event that fans of Kennywood have wished to occur for years has finally come to pass: Garfield’s Nightmare, the amusement park's Day-Glo boat ride with a slightly spooky twist, has been announced to be closing. For the upcoming 2020 season, the ride will be redone in a more traditional darkride style that will be evocative of the attraction that formerly inhabited the space, the Old Mill.

   Garfield’s Nightmare, based off of the popular comic strip cat, opened in 2004. Upon its debut, it instantly garnered much criticism over various issues; among them were including product placement throughout its passageways and the infusion of a popular character such as Garfield into Kennywood, which has always prided itself on maintaining a traditional amusement
park atmosphere over the years.
 The main gripe with Garfield, though, has always been that it is a dramatic departure in feel from the ride that preceded it. The Old Mill underwent numerous redesigns and name changes over its last few decades of operation, but constant throughout was a theme revolving around skeletons and the old west. Although not overly complex, many longtime Kennywood fans lamented the loss of the ride’s vintage aesthetic to a ride that was greatly considered to be too tongue-in-cheek and not focused enough on atmosphere. Overall, Garfield's Nightmare was simply an extremely cheesy ride that did not feel "right" in a park like Kennywood.
The pre-Garfield theme was also one that was much more in keeping with the ride’s history from the early 1900s. “Mill Chute” rides were once commonplace throughout amusement parks all across the country, but Kennywood’s is one of less than five surviving examples throughout the nation.
Kennywood has long encountered resistance against Garfield’s Nightmare, and park visitors have been crying for years for the park to restore the Old Mill to its former glory. Now, only after 16 seasons of operation, the Old Mill will finally be returning.
Kennywood Releases New Logo For The Old Mill – CBS Pittsburgh
The refurbished ride's newly-released logo
This restoration of a classic Kennywood accordance goes nicely in accordance with the 100th anniversary of the Jack Rabbit coaster, which will also be celebrated in 2020 (As a side note, most historians consider the Jack Rabbit to be Kennywood’s oldest ride, but some make a case for the Old Mill, although it held a different structure before being completely rebuilt around 1926).
The refurbishment of this ride will likely be fairly simple and not very elaborate, but if it turns out to be anything like the work done to Noah's Ark, another one of Kennywood's vintage dark attractions, a few years back, then I think that we will be in for a treat. My expectations certainly aren't set too high, though, because I want to be surprised! I can't wait to check out the "new" Old Mil this upcoming season at Kennywood!

7 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Good news! Glad to see the classic Old Mill returning without the commercialization. Always thought the Garfield re-do was a mistake.

Thanks for the update, Andrew!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I hope you'll do an update post - once "The Old Mill" is re-done. I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes (or "changes back").

I never knew about this attraction before reading this. Thanks for this interesting post!

Sue

Andrew said...

Thanks for reading, K. Martinez and Sue! Of course, I never got to ride the Old Mill, but I definitely will be able to appreciate a less-commercialized theme to the ride. And Sue, I'm glad that I was able to teach you a little something about Kennywood. It's a park that seems to remain mostly in touch with its vintage charm.

TokyoMagic! said...

I'm assuming that both the "Old Mill" and "Garfield's Nightmare" were a type of flume ride?

Who is the sponsor of the Garfield version of the ride? Pizza Hut? Mama Celeste? Is the current sponsor pulling out? Is that why Garfield is going away?

I've never been to Kennywood, but I am always glad to hear about any extinct attraction, making a comeback! I'm looking forward to a post from you, on the return of the "Old Mill!"

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic, here's a good picture that exemplifies what the flume of a Mill Chute ride looks like. They really were the precursors to log flumes - Kennywood's Old Mill even had a drop at one point! There still is a little lift hill.

Garfield's Nightmare never had a specific sponsor, but there were a couple Pepsi and Fritos logos inside that garnered it the product placement critique. It was really quite minimal, honestly. I'm not sure if the ride is leaving because Kennywood lost the Garfield license, but that could be the case. Thanks for the comment, as always. Could be seeing a post on your blog for the new Knott's Bear-y Tales when it opens?

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks for the link to that photo, Andrew! That looks like it was a really neat "old time-y" type of attraction! I hope they do a good job with it's redo!

I might try to do a post about the new Knott's Bear-y Tales, when it opens! I just now realized that it has been a very long time, since I have posted on a current theme park event, the opening of a new attraction, or done a trip report! I had to go and check, and I think it's been almost 7 years now! Since then, all of my posts have been nostalgia or memorabilia-related.

If you get to see Knott's Bear-y Tales this summer, I think you should do a post about it! :-)

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic, I'm remaining optimistic that I get to visit Knott's and Disneyland this summer, especially as my family's trip isn't until mid-August. I just hope that the parks don't stay closed too long so there aren't mobs of make-up crowds! I'll have to go back and read all of your Knott's posts before I visit - they've certainly already taught me a lot. A trip report post sounds good, but I understand that you probably don't have much interest in the new stuff and have already covered most of the old stuff! And don't worry, I will likely post nothing but CA stuff in the months after I come back.