Thursday, May 7, 2020

More Old Kennywood Postcards

Last post, we looked at the first set of my Kennywood postcards, so we're taking a glance at the rest of the good ones now.
The spelling of "Pittsburg" with no 'h' at the end dates this card of the park's Old Mill from before 1911, as it was between that year and 1890 that Pittsburgh was spelled that way. It's a long story. The Old Mill is arguably the oldest attraction at Kennywood, undergoing a wide variety of re-themes over 100+ years. It is scheduled to hopefully return under its original name for 2020.
"Dear Bertha: How are you all? I suppose you think we have forgotten you, but that would be impossible. We have moved now, and want you all to come up. Tell Aunt Mag and Mary to come along. Would like to see you all. Write soon."
The Old Mill was demolished and rebuilt in 1926, so the image shown here is not the current building.
 "Not to visit Kennywood is not to know Pittsburgh" is stated on the back of this card, even though Kennywood isn't technically in Pittsburgh! It's actually in West Mifflin, just outside of the city, but I get what they're trying to say here.
This card is my favorite, with its bright design and colorized illustrations. I would guess 1940s on its date. Looking clockwise, we have the Tower refreshment stand and the Sportland games building, both of which have been replaced with different structures but still serve the same purpose. You can see the miniature railroad entrance in the far background. Next is the Penny Arcade, which sadly has a newer building and facade now; but once again, it's still an arcade! The picture at the bottom is of the park's lagoon, which was once used for circus acts. Today, it's the loading area for a "Skycoaster" attraction. You can also glimpse the station of the park's wooden Racer coaster in the background.
Moving a little later on in time, we come to a Kennywood's 1986 Ferris wheel, the Wonder Wheel.
In 2001, the Wonder Wheel was replaced by Aero 360, a spinning, upside-down ride. George Ferris, the man who invented the first modern wheel, lived in Pittsburgh for many years, so it's unfortunate that the park no longer has a Ferris wheel of its own.
This verdant card shows paddle boats on the park's lagoon. Boats of some sort have been a fixture at Kennywood since its opening day. 
In 2019, the bridge and the lagoon area of the park as a whole were changed with the addition of Steel Curtain, a new roller coaster. I love the ride, but it unmistakably sticks out as out-of-scale in this area of Kennywood.
Steel Curtain has the most inversions out of any North American coaster, with nine.
Raging Rapids, which pumps 110,000 gallons of water a minute are through its trough, was added in 1985. The waterfall shown here is now no more, due to someone suing the park because he claimed he got an "eye-eating parasite" from it. No comment.
This card shows some of Kennywood's kiddie rides, mainly the Lil' Phantom kiddie coaster, which holds a special place in my heart, as it was my first coaster. The "Dumbo" (officially named "Elephant Parade") and "Red Baron" rides shown along the bottom are the exact same in execution, and Kennywood added a third variant of this system in Thomas Town in 2018. I guess that they're just trying to pretend to be Magic Kingdom...
Last for today is my final antique postcard, although it's not of Kennywood but of Pittsburgh's other major amusement park, West View. This view shows a roller coaster, the carousel, a bandstand, and the pony track. West View Park closed in 1977.
"Dear Paul, I am writing you a few lines to let you know that I am well. I am working full power. I am in Ambridge, Pa. I am sending my best regards to the family. My address is 814 - 18th St. Ambridge, Pa."
I hope that you've enjoyed this compilation of classic Kennywood postcards!

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I love the art deco buildings shown on that second postcard! I especially love the giant "penny in a slot" on the arcade building. What a shame THAT doesn't still exist!

Hey, that last postcard has a Chicago World's Fair postage stamp on it! That's pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing more of your vintage postcard collection with us, Andrew!

Andrew said...

I didn't notice that stamp, TokyoMagic! Very cool! Thanks for reading.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, thank you for sharing your Kennywood postcards - and all the interesting information, too. I've never been there, but I still enjoy visiting fun places on your blog!

Sue

P.S. How did you get started collecting the older postcards?

Andrew said...

I'm glad that you're still able to get some enjoyment out of this, Sue - even with you never having been to Kennywood. When it comes to how I started collecting these postcards, I wouldn't even call this a "collection," as it's so small and several of these cards were bought all at once. But I guess the reason I purchased them in the first place was because they were cheap, and it's cool to have a tangible connection to amusement park history.

Chuck said...

Yay! More vintage Kennywood postcards!

That giant penny reminds me of Batman's Trophy Hall in the Batcave. All they needed was a giant joker card and a tyrannosaurus rex and they would have been set.

Bonus points for using the word "verdant" in a coherent sentence.

Steel Curtain illustrates a problem that many parks have - keeping the ride offering thrilling (which keeps guests coming, which keeps profits going, which keeps parks open) while staying within the available park footprint and trying not to ruin the charm that has developed over the decades. Cedar Point has this problem in spades.

Silver Dollar City has an Elephant Parade (which they call "Elephant March") as well. I was amused at the blatant Dumbo ripoff and thought it was a great idea for a spinner.

Thanks for another fun post, Andrew!

Andrew said...

Hi Chuck, I'm happy that you liked these cards! That's really funny about the giant penny and Batman; that didn't come to my mind!

Cedar Point lost its vintage amusement park charm decades ago, and now they mostly just focus on the "wow-factor" of so many coasters at once. Different parks have different niches, and there's no way to integrate a 400-foot tall coaster into its surroundings. An occasional "mega park" like CP, then, is completely fine by me. I would've loved to visit in the 70s, though. Thanks for the nice comment!

Chuck said...

CP was awesome in the '70s. It was still pretty cool in the '80s. And the early '90s there weren't bad, either, although Earthquake!, the Frontier Lift, and the 1967 Shoot the Rapids were already gone by then.

We enjoyed our 2005 visit, particularly because it was our first trip as parents and there were three generations having a great time (except on the Giant Wheel when the almost-two-year-old kept trying to climb out; that still gives me the willies just thinking about it), but so much was unfamiliar that it was slightly unsettling. Haven't been back since, not because we were opposed but because we were focused on other things on Ohio visits and my oldest doesn't like thrill rides or crowds.

I suppose if we were close enough to visit regularly, I'd have a good time tracking down what remains (I've had fun doing that at Six Flags St. Louis, which I also visited several times from 1977-81), but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Anonymous said...

Ken Martinez might correct me on this, but to me, the old buildings in the postcard remind me of some of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk buildings.

Maybe it was the era, or maybe my memory is faulty.

Anyway, fun to look at these old cards.

Thanks Andrew.

JG

Andrew said...

JG, yes, that art deco style was common among amusement parks of the past, but you can only find vestiges of it today at most places. It's nice to hear that Santa Cruz still has some interesting architecture.