Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Unlicensed Disney Amusement Park Influences

Yep, that's Goofy holding a fishing net, ready to catch a child. The place is Trimper's Rides, in Ocean City, Maryland. The building that houses this park's 1902 carousel is home to many kiddie rides with artistic flourishes, some of which are quite interesting - let's take a look above this pelican trash can, for instance.
I wouldn't trust The Big Bad Wolf with that oil can. He could cause an accident.
Mickey is dressed like Mr. Toad, complete with goggles.
I don't think that this is Dumbo...
Donald gives the Trimper's kiddie bumper cars a THUMBS UP and a FOOT OUT.
Meanwhile, one of the Three Little Pigs is eating some cotton candy that's not even as big as his behind.
Although it's not Disney, this Popeye cartoon is worth a mention. I don't have a picture of the other side, sadly. Trimper's has to be one of the smallest parks in America that still retains a park artist, at least as of last year.
I mainly wanted to write this post to share the pictures of Trimper's, but here're a few bonuses.
Conneaut Lake Park here in Pennsylvania brightened up their train ride last year with some new cutouts.
The "Enchanted Forest" outdoor walkthrough-style attraction existed before Disneyland opened, but many of them contain Disney knock-offs. Story Book Forest at Idlewild in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, keeps mostly to safe ground on the majority of their fairy tales. Pinocchio is the one that I do see some direct references in. Look for Figaro, Cleo, and a copy of the book in the film's title sequence. Here's a video clip:


With the Disney theme parks being the successes that they are, many attractions have been based on their design at regional theme parks. Most are significantly reinterpreted, but you will also see things that leave no question where the idea came from. Take the "Country Bear Jubilee," which has some of its old (non-functioning) animatronics in the park history museum at Knoebels, for instance...
Not nearly as endearing as Henry...
I'll end this post with a picture of Kings Island's International Street. With the park entrance leading straight into this area, it's obvious that Disneyland and Magic Kingdom provided inspiration. In fact, Bruce Bushman worked on the design of the street, making it one of the more appropriate examples of a Disney influence.
Shh... don't tell anyone about Trimper's...

7 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Wow....I wonder if Disney knows about the artwork at these parks? Hey, I won't tell, if you don't tell!

I'm assuming those "Country Bears" are animatronic? How is the show, quality-wise? Is it similar to something you would see at a Chuck E. Cheese's? Better? Worse?

Andrew said...

I realize that I didn't provide context for the bear animatronics, TokyoMagic. I don't think they've played for probably 20 years, and you can see that in their deteriorated state. I didn't even mention that they're in the park history museum at Knoebels in Eastern Pennsylvania. As for the quality of the show, I've never seen a video of it, so who knows? Thanks for reading!

DrGoat said...

We've all heard a few stories of Disney suing to stop people from using there stuff. I remember one concerning a small day school for kindergarten aged kids. They had a painting of Mickey on one wall. I thought it was pretty sad considering this was so innocuous and this place was obviously in a small, not wealthy community. Oh well.
That video clip was interesting, with just the right amount of weirdness to it.
Great post Andrew. Thanks.

Andrew said...

Wow, I'm surprised that Disney would crackdown on a preschool, DrGoat. How the heck did they somehow know about a random painting?! I'm glad that you liked the post!

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows that Disney characters mean a good time, except, apparently Disney.

Andrew, thanks for this fun post. I enjoy the down-home feel of these little places. The Olive Oyl gag is great.

The last photo especially reminds me of Story Land at the Roeding Park in Fresno, which was my local play land as a kid. It's recently re-opened after a long while dark.

https://storylandfresno.com/

Best regards

JG

Andrew said...

You're totally right about the down-home feel of these places, JG. It's a special feeling that I enjoy just as much as the slickest new theme park attraction. Thanks for the link to Storyland! That's another storybook park that I had never heard of before. All the best to you as well.

"Lou and Sue" said...

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery."

I can understand Disney's reasoning for protecting their "property," but it seems counter-productive to sue a day school...those kids are their future consumers.

Thanks, Andrew!

Sue