Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Six Flags America

I got to visit my first Six Flags park in November! I was supposed to start with the best - Magic Mountain - but I ended up going to Six Flags America, located east of Washington, DC and sometimes called the "worst" Six Flags park. But due to it being the most dead I've ever seen a theme park, I had a great time! I can't complain about getting 20 rides in three hours, even if the park is a little shabby in areas. The overcast sky added to the slightly-eerie atmosphere.

Here we see Six Flags visitors streaming in for a day full of fun!!
The S'mores fire pit was not yet in operation, sadly.
This was a weekend between the Christmas and Halloween events, and it was funny seeing the decorations mixed together in places. The western area becomes the North Pole for Christmas. In the background, you can see Mind Eraser, which is literally the worst coaster I've ever ridden.
The uniquely-themed "Rodeo" was my first Break Dance ride, though it ran really slow.
Who needs New Orleans Square when you have the epic MARDI GRAS section!!
It's complete with rides better than Pirates of the Caribbean, like RAGIN' CAJUN!
Wild One was a bucket-list wooden coaster for me, and it's by far the better of the two in the park. Surprisingly, this is the fourth oldest roller coaster in the world with an opening date of 1917. However, it was only relocated to the park then known as Adventure World from Massachusetts in 1986, so its claim to fame as a 100+ year coater is up for debate. (Six Flags rebranded Adventure World in 1999).
It's still a spectacular wooden coaster after 100 years!
Wild One runs through this rock structure that was theming for a former flume ride. (The drop went through the skull's mouth.) The funny thing about the flume is that Six Flags didn't spend the money to remove the trough, so you clearly see it inside the mountain when on Wild One!
Looney Tunes Movie Town looks to have some parts that haven't been touched since 1999...
Areas like this have given Six Flags America its bad reputation, but they are improving bit by bit.
This Sunday in November was the last day of the season for the park's three major steel coasters.
I had ridden the two indoor "clones" of this launched coaster, but I think I liked Joker's Jinx more! These rides are nicknamed "Spaghetti Bowls" for their closely intertwined track sections.
The park's star attraction is Superman: Ride of Steel. I can't complain about as many rides as you want without getting out of your seat on a coaster like this.  
The coaster that turned out to be my favorite in the park is Batwing, a flying coaster, which means that you're lying facedown for portions of the ride (and on your back for others, like this loop). I had never been on a flying coaster before, so I have a feeling that the gimmick will wear off once I ride more.
I love Cedar Fair parks, but only a Six Flags park opens for the heck of it in November even though they won't make any money! An $80 season pass gets me into every Six Flags park in the country, too, so I can appreciate the "discount chain" - especially after dropping more than twice as much for a Cedar Fair pass that includes fewer parks! I look forward to visiting more Six Flags parks this summer, but I'm guessing it'll be hard to beat having the place to yourself!

7 comments:

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I have questions for you:

Why is the 'Mind Eraser' the worst coaster you've ridden?

On the 'Superman: Ride of Steel' - how many times in a row did you ride it?

Would you go back to this Six Flags?

I love your fun commentary (as always) and enjoy how you share interesting info and pictures - I feel like I was there, too. (I do miss not seeing you in any of the pictures, though.)

Great post, thank you, Andrew!

Melissa said...

Hopefully you'll make it to my old home park, Darien Lake, which has been a Six Flags park twice now! Having any park mostly to yourself is pretty sweet.

TokyoMagic! said...

I wonder if Six Flags chose that name for their rebranding of the park, after the "Disney's America" park concept was rejected by local citizens in Virginia?

Are there any photos out there of the old flume ride through the skull's head? It would be interesting to see what it once looked like with the drop coming out of the mouth. Six Flags Magic Mountain in CA has had some similar situations, where the company just left or repurposed remnants of former rides. I think that type of decision always wreaks of cheapness!

It looks like you visited this park on the perfect day, as far as the crowds go. I love visiting theme/amusement parks when they are this empty.

Thanks for the trip report and background info about this park, Andrew!

Andrew said...

Sue, it's the over-the-shoulder restraints that make Mind Eraser bad. You're banging your head the whole time. I only rode Superman three times (twice consecutively), as I just had a few hours. I want to say that I'll go back here, but knowing that they haven't got a new ground-up coaster since 2001, I might choose to check out other places. I'm glad you liked the post!

Andrew said...

Melissa, Darien Lake is not too far from home. I'm pumped to ride another Mind Eraser - NOT. Maybe you know this, but the Superman at Darien Lake has a mirror-image layout to this Superman. There's no lake at SFA, though, so the sections of straight track feel a bit out-of-place.

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I can't imagine what it would be like if Disney's America was built. I would've visited there many times by now since Manassas is literally right off the highway we take to my grandparents'.

Here's an image of the old flume. There was some effort to make the skull fit in, as the roller coaster built in its place has a dystopian theme. I love going to empty parks too, as long as they're not like that every day. Thanks for reading!

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, thanks for the link to that photo! I did a quick search late last night, but I wasn't getting anything to come up. I probably wasn't using the right search words.