Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Noah's Ark - Kennywood

The 1936 Noah's Ark walkthrough attraction at Kennywood is one of the last old-time amusement fun houses remaining. It was refurbished most recently in 2016 with the return of its whale-themed entrance and the restoration of scenes to be more reflective of the Ark's "fun house" roots. In 1995, Kennywood removed the whale to try and re-theme Noah's Ark into a Disney-like experience. While they had good intentions with some impressive results, Kennywood fans lamented for years the loss of the light-hearted whale to such a serious retheme.

 As you see in this video, the defining thing about Noah's Ark is its rocking boat. A portion of the path you walk is rocking back and forth, which can be quite disorienting!

Noah's Ark was constructed during the biggest flood in Pittsburgh's history, which occurred on St. Patrick's Day. However, the refurbishments in 1968 and 1995 were also delayed by area flooding!

This is what the exterior looked like from 1995-2015. The tower at left was for the "Elevator of Doom," a faux elevator whose narrator said was "in place for almost a century." It was "sealed shut for 50 years," but just as you were told that "no one has actually gone down into the shaft," the voice faded out, the lights turned off, and the car started to vibrate. It totally got me the first time I did it, but of course, halfway through the walkthrough, you come out on the balcony that leads to the "front door," so the illusion was ruined.
For some context, here's the other extant Noah's Ark attraction at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in England; it's been closed since 2008 but still serves a decorative purpose above the park's entrance.
The back side of Noah's Ark

The current first scene is a room of fluorescent crates. Some rock back and forth, and if you move your ear to each, then you'll hear the animal that's on the crate's label. There's even a skunk scent! They reuse the same stink smell later in the attraction in the scene at below right... you can guess the sound effects. There is one nice smell, though, near the end - honey in a bee tableau. 
                                     

The waterfall scene was a memorable part of the 1968 Ark that was resurrected in 2016. Of course, I thought the water lillies in the pond looked a little like a Hidden Mickey! 

Once you enter the Ark itself, you see Noah. The scene above is the 1995 version. Noah used to be an impressive animatronic, but he had become static by the theme's later years.
In 2016, Noah's wife was added. The bat is not a regular part of the attraction; it's a special prop for Kennywood's Halloween event, Phantom Fright Nights.
Here's an unrelated picture of the Kennywood carousel lit up for Halloween just because it's cool. Below, you see the contrast in one of the scenes between the regular season and Halloween.
The shaking floorboards were the last of the Ark's true fun house "stunts," but they were sadly deactivated a few years ago after a kid's fingers got stuck in the gap - note the metal plates, the current solution.
They ruin everything!
This room is a classic "mystery spot" with a tilted floor. The seesaw rocks back and forth, with the metallic ball going "uphill."
Other than the "Elevator of Doom," one of the other notable aspects of the 1995 retheme was the  "Bathmosphere," which aimed to provide the illusion of a return to the Earth's surface, but of course, something went horribly wrong, and water started pouring into the chamber. Luckily, the ride's exit doors opened and you escaped. I never go to experience this, as it was already decommissioned for good by the time I first saw the Ark in 2012. The more I think about it, though, the more forced the Ark's old "storyline" seems. So a mine shaft took you underground, but by the end you were somehow underwater?! In contrast to this, the current state of Noah's Ark is something you can tell was done on a budget, but it fits the atmosphere of the park much better than the theme that came before it.

4 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, I love this type of "Fun House" attraction! Unfortunately, the permanent ones that I've experienced, were torn down years ago. Then there were the "portable" ones that traveled to various carnivals and fairs. I wonder if some of those are still around? I loved the sliding floors, rocking rooms, and the mirror mazes in these attractions. But I suppose nowadays, they are just a lawsuit, waiting to happen. I'm glad to see that this attraction has been able to remain open!

I like that pic of Noah, with you superimposed over the scene. I'm assuming it's just your reflection on a piece of glass, but it almost looks like a special effects shot.

Oh, and I caught your "They ruin everything!" statement, even though it was small. And of course, I heartily agree with you on that!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, portable fun houses are definitely still a thing, luckily! I've done several of them, but I like the permanent ones 100x more because they have scenes and dioramas.

Haha, I am photobombing that picture. It's like a "Pepper's Ghost" effect! I'm glad you caught "they ruin everything!"

By the way, the caption where I talked about the Elevator of Doom was in the wrong spot, so it probably didn't make much sense. I just changed a lot of confusing wording, so sorry - that doesn't help in explaining the ride's complicated history!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I love how this Noah's Ark was also constructed (and refurbished) during a flood! Wow, it's been there a looong time, and it does look like fun. I'm glad they put the whale back where he belongs. I wonder if he's related to Monstro??

What is that picture to the right of the fluorescent crates? I'm not sure what I'm seeing there...

I love the hidden Mickey! That had to be intentional, I bet.

Your reflection in the one shot is fun - seeing you in action!

I always enjoy your posts because you take us to places I've never been!

Andrew said...

Sue, I hadn't thought of this whale being inspired by Monstro before, but now I'm thinking, of course it is! The picture you asked about is a zebra butt. ;-) That's what I mean when I say " They reuse the same stink smell later in the attraction in the scene at below right." I'm glad you enjoyed the tour!