Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Shenandoah Caverns

Today's post is one of an attraction that I haven't fully covered in the past. Two years ago, I did a post on American Celebration on Parade, a parade float museum at Shenandoah Caverns in Northern Virginia. However, I didn't cover the caverns themselves (a few pictures are later in this post) as well as another fun diversion at the complex, Main Street of Yesteryear - a showcase of vintage department store window displays. Its entrance branches off from the Caverns gift shop. Like American Celebration, it's completely free as a stand-alone attraction.
These Rose Parade bears apparently fit better here than in the American Celebration warehouse next door. They decorate a staircase that takes you to the main exhibit area.
You can see one of the bears in the background of the below image. 
All of the displays are animated. They activate with a motion sensor and run on a timer. This cannot be something easy to maintain.
The most spectacular display is this three-ring circus, using figures from a variety of old displays, some dating back to the early 1900s. It's hard to get a good feel for these through still images, but seeing all the figures moving at once is really cool!
Here's one final example of one of the dioramas.
Since we're already here, we might as well actually give Shenandoah Caverns some financial support and visit the Caverns themselves! This Christmas-colored pixie is their old mascot, not used as much as it once was. There used to be images of them plastered all over area billboards holding banners in their hands and feet that said "Come See" and "Follow Me." 
Some wonderful vintage signs of the pixies can still be found in the caverns.
I can't tell you anything specific about these stalagmites and stalactites, but I will say that Shenandoah Caverns has a scenic and interesting tour - but then again, I haven't been to any cave to compare it to!
They do use some colorful lighting in some areas, like this underground pond.
The final attraction at Shenandoah Caverns is the Yellow Barn. Similar to American Celebration on Parade, it can double as an events center but is open for free during Caverns hours, showcasing a classic car collection and a model railroad in the rafters.
I'll in Vermont visiting my aunt right now and am planning to stop at some fun places, so keep an eye out for some new topics soon.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks for that link to your previous post on the former parade floats. I think I missed that post, because it was before I knew about your blog.

That is a pretty neat collection of parade floats! I'm assuming the ones that come to them from the Rose Parade, have to be painted or covered with some other kind of material, after they obtain them. I believe for the Rose Parade, there is a requirement that every exposed surface has to be covered with rose petals or other "natural" elements, most of which would be perishable and wouldn't last too long.

Those vintage store displays are nice, too. Is there any further information on them, as far as which stores they came from?

I think my favorite thing about this roadside spot, is the natural caverns! I have never seen anything like that in person, but I have always wanted to. It's just incredible that something like that was created by nature, over many, many, years. It almost looks phony, like something Walt Disney or Bud Hurlbut would dream up....but they were just copying the real thing!

Thanks Andrew, for another fun tour!

TokyoMagic! said...

P.S. I hope you are having a nice visit with your aunt! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your trip reports!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I have tried to find pictures of those floats in the Rose Parade and whatnot, but it's pretty hard. I guess I could go search for old television broadcasts...

It's slightly disappointing that there's no specific historical info about the displays, but what's even weirder is that they're completely silent, with nothing but the humming of motors and the creaking of the figures.

I just got back from the trip an hour ago - it was great! :-)

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, I swear that I recognize that float of the large woman with her arms stretched out to the sides, and wearing a crown (from your previous float post). I believe they used that for multiple years, just changing parts of it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I have a photo of it from when I went to see the parked floats after the parade. I will search for that photo and send it to you, if it turns out to be the same float.

I'm glad to hear that you had a good trip! I read your comment on GDB, about your trip to Great Adventure in New Jersey. I've never been there, but I remember reading about their parachute tower and how it was moved there from another park. I just forget if their version is the kind where you sit down on a seat, or if you stand up in a "cage."

Andrew said...

I'd love to see a picture of that float, TM! I found a mention that it's from the 1992 Rose Parade. The parachute tower is one where you sit down. It was lacking in thrills, but I'm glad it has stuck around long enough for this amusement park history fan to ride it. :-)

JG said...

Happy birthday, Andrew!

JG

Andrew said...

Thanks, JG!

"Lou and Sue" said...

What an interesting place! I would especially enjoy the Main Street of Yesteryear...I love when things are displayed like that - using that store-front-and-street look. What's a bit unsettling is that, as I'm getting older, I'm seeing "my" things in those window displays. Yikes!

Love caves! They're cool, and cool!

Thanks, Andrew!

Andrew said...

Don't worry about that Sue... just be happy that stuff from your era is "museum-worthy." I don't know if I'll be so lucky...