Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Knott's Berry Farm Pt. 1

I was looking forward to my first visit to Knott's Berry Farm almost as much as Disneyland. It was a crowded day at the park that many consider the oldest in America, but I was not disappointed. Since I learned so much about Knott's before ever visiting, I was able to appreciate it all the more.
Ghost Town was bustling because of the annual Ghost Town Alive event, which meant that there were a lot of roaming actors.
You can't forget the minor attractions that gave Knott's its start, like the quaint blacksmith shop. I wonder how old the paint is on the sign?

Though there aren't many wide-open spaces or shaded areas, the landscaping at Knott's was excellent. 
Of course, I had to get my picture with the most legendary duo of Ghost Town, Handsome Brady and Whiskey Bill.
Another icon of Ghost Town is the Catawampus, not to mention the newly-hatched baby Catawampus!
The independent vendors who run some of the shops in Ghost Town were all really nice. I didn't know that there are old tickets and mementos stuck in the glass of the Bottle House. If you ask, the cashier might use a pair of tweezers and show you some of the treasures.
Market Street is probably the most peaceful part of Ghost Town, as it sits away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds.
Even with Ghost Town Alive taking up many of the buildings, there are still some real gems of peek-ins, like this one of a gunsmith.
One of my favorite memories of the visit was getting a Sarsaparilla and soft pretzel from the Calico Saloon. Though there wasn't a show playing inside the saloon, my dad and I sat outside and enjoyed the atmosphere.
Though "newer" than Bill and Brady, Marilyn and Cecelia are still older than Disneyland. My reflection photobombed this shot!
The Boot Hill tombstone that still has a "beating heart" is such a delight. If you don't know what I'm talking about, your life isn't complete yet. ;-)
I missed the hoedown. :-( But seriously, seeing iconic views like this for the first time almost felt surreal.
The Western Trails Museum is a rare piece of "old Knott's" that I hope never goes away. I'm guessing this diorama was sold as a souvenir of the old Chapel on the Lake.
There are countless authentic trinkets from the old west in the museum, but the collection also includes a lot of Knott's ephemera. I appreciated it all.
Does anyone know where this sign used to hang? I love how you can tell it was hand-carved.
As a first-time visitor to Knott's, I had to undergo initiation by greeting Sad-Eye Joe.
 My dad's name is also Joe, so he was looking forward to seeing Sad-Eye. I can't remember what we talked about, but I would love to have the job of providing Joe's voice (my dad or the statue??). Do they have the same person play Sad-Eye Joe all day?
GhostRider was the lone wooden coaster I got to ride on this trip, but it was definitely one of the best I've ridden. It is frustrating that Cedar Fair's highest-attended park has a signature coaster with such a low capacity. The ride operations at Knott's are probably the worst I've seen at any park, mostly due to Cedar Fair's overly stringent safety rules and some confused employees. It was so crowded on the day we visited that I was faced with the option of either waiting in hour+ lines for every ride or buying a skip-the-line wristband, so I coughed up $114 for one, and I can't say I regret it.
The 90-minute wait for the Butterfield Stagecoach did not seem appealing, so this ride will have to wait until next visit... whenever that is. It is impressive that the stagecoach still runs after so many decades. I didn't notice if there was more than one vehicle running, but that line had to be painful.
The Ghost Town and Calico Railroad can't compare to the Disneyland Railroad in both speed and scenery, but I appreciated it for its history.
This picture is one of my favorite memories of an already incredible trip. I was enjoying my train ride when I heard a familiar voice behind me. So I turned around... and saw Tony Baxter sitting just a few seats away! He was nice enough to take a photo after the ride. When I told him my family was visiting Disneyland, he said that he was thinking of going there but thought it would be too difficult to get reservations. For Tony Baxter?!
My mom dropped my dad and me off at the park in the morning, but she accidentally took the wrong I-5 exit when coming to pick us up at night, ending up in northern Anaheim. (She thought she remembered where she was going and didn't need the GPS.) My dad was not amused.
I was happy that Knott's and Disneyland were open late, as most of my local parks never returned to pre-pandemic hours. Any park is a completely different experience at night.
Nighttime in California also felt different than it does at home. Ghost Town was particularly special, with a live band adding to the atmosphere.
I rode GhostRider a second time at night, and it's certainly one of the best nighttime rides I've experienced. While I was going up the lift hill, I could see the Disneyland fireworks going off in the distance behind Independence Hall. I had to wait thirty minutes even with the Fast Lane wristband, but the wait was worth it, as this was a perfect way to end our day.
In the next post, we'll look at the two most famous attractions in Ghost Town as well as the rest of the park and Independence Hall!

14 comments:

JB said...

I like the boysenberry motif above the entrance gates. I also like the visual teaser of the rollercoaster flinging people upside-down above the entrance. Build up that excitement!

I see that Handsome Brady and Whiskey Bill are still chewing the fat after all these years. And the Gold Trails Hotel is looking just as... um... rundown as always. I guess the ghosts prefer it that way.

Turning Old Betsy's mine cars into flower planters, exploding with color, is a nice touch.

Ah! There are the two gents in a close-up. I was gonna ask which one is Whiskey Bill, but I see that he's the one holding the jug.

I wonder if the baby Catawampus is in response to the popularity of baby Yoda in recent years? Maybe it's always been there?

There's a giant beetle on the Bottle House roof! Oh wait... it's just a stage-type light.

I think I see a little cat(?) statue sitting on the upper ledge of the Calico Saloon. What does sarsaparilla taste like? Ginger ale? Root beer? Cream soda?

Marilyn and Cecelia might look like floozies, but they have hearts of gold... or cement... or whatever they're made of. And you know they're as sweet as can be, because they're sitting outside the Candy
Store.

The Hoedown photo: Seeing the modern amusement park rides towering over the old west street doesn't really bother me. It's an amusement park!

I like the "Knot 2 Day" sign across the steps leading up to the temptress displaying her leg out the window. Does the leg still give a little kick now and then?

That's a nice, clear pic of Sad-Eye Joe.

If you go to Knott's to ride-the-rides, then $114 for the wristband seems like the way to go. If you don't care much about the rides, then just walking around, soaking in the ambience is nice, too.

Wow, great picture of you and Tony Baxter!

Wonderful night shots of the park. Love that warm nighttime glow.

Sounds like you had a great time at Knott's, Andrew. Really nice pictures, as usual. Till next time.

TokyoMagic! said...

Another great trip report with more great photos! I'm glad that you already knew so much about Knott's, so that you could enjoy all of the little details and not miss anything.

JB, good eye! Now I want to know if that is a real cat or just a statue. It looks kind of fake, but Knott's does have it's own cat population, just like Disneyland does. In fact, I took one of the Knott's cats home with me, back when I was working there.

That little display of the Transfiguration of Christ was the mock-up/model that Paul Von Klieben create, to show Walter Knott prior to building the "Little Chapel By The Lake" attraction. The lighting on the model can be switched from normal light, to black light, to show the effect of Christ's eyes opening. As for souvenirs, there was a paper souvenir that was sold decades ago. Major Pepperidge posted a couple versions of it over 10 years ago:

http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/knotts-transfiguration-souvenir.html

The "Welcome To Ghost Town" book was originally located above the Pan For Gold area. It can be seen in this 1974 photo, from the blog, "Knott's In Print":

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k8VNbXvgWw0/TXCCvw6-e9I/AAAAAAAAAHY/B3LY5CLY7MM/s1600/Welcome+to+Ghost+Town+Sign.jpg

That was pretty amazing timing that allowed you to see the DL fireworks, while riding Ghost Rider. Another way to view them from Knott's, is to ride the Sky Cabin just at the right time.

I'm looking forward to Part 2 of your Knott's trip, Andrew!

Andrew said...

JB, I’m sure some Knott’s traditionalists are not a fan of Silver Bullet being front and center, but I do think it looks cool behind the entrance.

The Gold Trails Hotel is meant to look old. If it was spotless, it wouldn’t be the same!

I think they added the baby Catawampus 5 or so years ago. I remember reading that they played a joke where the original Catawampus was removed for a while, and the new baby appeared in a few places around Ghost Town.

That light does look like a beetle. Disneyland would have themed it better! I love your ability to see one thing as something completely different, JB.

Sarsaparilla tastes most like root beer if I remember correctly. If you’ve never had one before, you should drink your first in Calico Square while you watch the Mine Ride and train run their paces.

I agree that it’s hard to complain about the Knott’s sightlines when they have so little room to add new attractions.

I didn’t notice if the leg that is hanging out of Goldie’s Place still kicks, but I hope it does!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I’m guessing that cat statue is meant to scare away birds? JB really has an eagle eye to see it! I love that you adopted one of the Knott’s cats yourself. How long did he/she live?

Wow, that is amazing history about the Transfiguration tableau. The museum needs to add plaques that explain all of the artifacts, but I understand that would be a massive project. I recall seeing those paper souvenirs online before, so that’s where I came up with that idea.

Thanks for the info about the book. I can tell the one in that photo you linked is different, so I’d be interested to know the age of this one. Maybe it replaced the book in that ‘74 photo?

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, there was a special "Knott's History" presentation back in 2012, in one of the dining rooms of the Chicken Dinner Restaurant. I think it was presented by the O.C. Historical Society. They had a few artifacts on display, including the model of the Transfiguration of Christ. They showed the black light effect of the eyes opening/closing. I know I took pics, but I'm not sure if I took pics of both the "before" and "after" effect. I will try to locate those pics, so I can share them with you.

After finishing my comment and including that link of the Ghost Town Book in 1974, I analyzed the photo some more and came to the same conclusion that you did. I bet you are right about the one in the museum being a replacement for an earlier one. Maybe the book in the museum is the most recent version? It might be the one that was there in the nineties, up until the time that they "filled in" the Pan For Gold area, for the construction of Ghost Rider.

As for my little Knott's Berry Farm kitty.....she was such a sweetheart. Most of the cats in the park were not approachable, but she seemed to be reaching out for help that night. She was VERY thin. I'm thinking that she might not have been able to compete with the other cats for food. This was before Knott's started putting out feeding stations for the cats, so they had to scrounge around for food. I had heard that employees of the Chicken Dinner Restaurant would sometimes put out chicken for the cats. Anyway, the vet said she was probably about a year old, and she lived to be about 14. That's a little disappointing, since I have had cats that lived to be 20 and 22, but I don't know if she had underlying health issues.....maybe from malnutrition in that first year of development. Sorry, more info than you asked for! :-)

Major Pepperidge said...

Andrew, I love your first Knott’s trip report post. What did you think of “Ghost Town Alive”? Did you participate at all? I didn’t know that there was ANY landscaping left at Knott’s, so I’m glad to hear that you thought it was excellent.

I remember when the Catawampus was added back to the park, but did not know about the baby version! And I don’t think I knew about the tickets and mementos stuck inside some of the bottles of the Bottle House; I love the inside of the Bottle House, with the various colors of glass and the way the sun comes through.

I don’t recognize that peek-in, I wonder if it is relatively new? And did they still have the casket with the Pepper’s Ghost effect? That one was my favorite.

It’s nice to see Marilyn and Cecilia, though I wish that whoever painted them had used some more subtle colors. It’s a minor gripe, I admit.

And YES, the grave with the beating heart is the best!

I’ve never seen the Knott’s ephemera in the Western Trails Museum, I will definitely have to stop in the next time I go (which will be soon I hope).

I KNOW I have a vintage photo of that “Welcome to Ghost Town” sign, but my Knott’s slides are in disarray so I won’t be able to find it without a thorough search.

Glad you saw Sad Eye Joe; the last time I was there, teenagers were asking Joe some pretty rude questions. I assume that Joe has heard it all by now.

My memories of GhostRider are mostly that it was a painful ‘coaster, but you loved it so much that maybe I was mistaken. Again, hopefully I can do it soon. I’d love to ride the Stagecoach, but yeah, not if there’s a 90-minute wait. Bummer. The train is a “must” though.

And wow, SO COOL that you just happened to run into Tony Baxter! And pretty amazing that you recognized the voice first. Meanwhile, man, if Tony B. can’t just walk into Disneyland, I don’t know what has happened.

So neat also that you could see the Disneyland fireworks from the lift hill of GhostRider; when I was a little kid, I could go to Edison High School and climb the bleachers, and see the fireworks, even though they were very far away and teensy.

Thanks for this fun trip report, I look forward to more!

(I believe that the cat was part of the Ghost Town Alive event, there was a video with Irene where she and another man found four or five different cats hidden around Ghost Town).

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I bet the effect of the Transfiguration tableau still caused gasps all these decades later. Some of the best special effects really are the simplest. And that was not too much information about your adopted Knott’s kitty! I’m glad that you were able to nurse her back to health, even if she didn’t live as long as some of your other cats.

Andrew said...

Major, I didn’t do Ghost Town Alive at all, but I do love the idea that locals and annual pass holders can keep coming back and get into the story as much as they want. The only bummer is they remove some of the original peek-in mannequins for the live actors!

Aside from Camp Snoopy, there isn’t much greenery at Knott’s, but I thought that what they did have was really nice. I’d assume that the gunsmith peek-in is at least a half-century old. This link says it’s from 1946. The Pepper’s Ghost casket is still next to the Bird Cage Theater, and I agree that it’s effectively simple. I’ve seen pictures where Marilyn and Cecelia were painted in much lighter and more realistic hues, which was probably the original paint job. I’ll be on the lookout for pictures of the book sign too. I’m surprised that even TokyoMagic! doesn’t know its exact history. ;-)

If you haven’t ridden GhostRider since 2016, you would definitely remember it as rough and painful. They replaced all of the track that year, and now it’s one of the smoothest wooden roller coasters I’ve ever ridden. It was actually too smooth for my taste. And you’re right… if Tony needs to make a reservation to get into Disneyland, something is really wrong. Thanks for such a long comment! I’m glad that you are enjoying the trip report series.

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DrGoat said...

Great pics Andrew. Lots of wish I was there photos. Did you notice if the little devil turning the crank to power the volcano is still there? I doubt it, but that was one of my memories from the 60s at Knotts.
Good job, thanks Andrew.
PS the photo with Tony Baxter is a 10+, you lucky guy.

Andrew said...

DrGoat, the volcano devil was removed when they built GhostRider. :-( But I was amazed to see a full line of "Knott's Volcano Devil" merchandise for sale at Virginia's Gift Shop!

Anonymous said...

Andrew, thank you for the comprehensive trip report!

Sounds like you had a spectacular time, meeting Tony Baxter and seeing the Disney fireworks too!

I haven't been to Knotts for over 30 years, but visited fairly often as a kid.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and jogging good memories for me.

JG

Andrew said...

JG, when I look back on these pictures, I can't believe we did so much in a week, so far away from home. It's snowing in PA now. :-( I love that your only memories of Knott's are from before Cedar Fair took over. You might want to keep it that way, to be honest.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew!
I just got caught up!
Can't wait to see more!