Saturday, February 4, 2023

Disneyland's Tomorrowland

Among the rest of Disneyland's themed areas, Tomorrowland is often seen as in a confused state, stuck in limbo due to a lack of investment. I certainly understand that point, but I also enjoyed seeing the layers of Tomorrowland history that have sometimes just been left abandoned.
Like the old Peoplemover track! Even though it's a real shame that this attraction is a thing of the past, I could appreciate just seeing the elevated track as a fan of Disneyland history.
Although Tomorrowland 1967 has mostly been erased from existence, I’m glad that these mid-century walls flanking the land’s entrance remain. If there is ever another new Tomorrowland, these should stay untouched.
The Matterhorn fits better in Fantasyland, but I'm including it here since it's right on the border with Tomorrowland.
I was looking forward to riding this coaster mainly from a historical standpoint, and the ride did not disappoint. Yes, it is very rough (the rest of my family was not a fan), but I expected that given it was Arrow’s first coaster.
The first coaster with tubular steel track might feel like you’re riding down stairs in a shopping cart to some people, but in a weird way, that’s the kind of roller coaster I enjoy.
I don’t know how the current bobsleds compare to how the coaster used to ride, but I didn’t find the bumps to take away from the experience in any great way.
I was amazed by how the Monorail rides so close to the ground around the Matterhorn, narrowly cutting between Alice and the mountain.
I wonder where this murder of crows (?) is going. Perhaps they are hoping to invade the Tiki Room and put it under new management.

I love how this view is unlike anything you’re able to see at Walt Disney World, especially with the huge palm trees.
Although the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage hadn’t reopened yet during our visit, we were able to watch the subs circling the lagoon. I really wish I had gotten to ride this historic attraction, but given such a large refurbishment, I am assuming that it is here to stay.

The atmosphere and kinetic energy provided by the slowly moving subs is great, but they were just tantalizing me!
In the background, you can see that some lucky Cast Members were receiving previews of the newly-refurbished attraction.
The Disneyland Monorail is quirky, nothing like the Monorail network in Florida. But being quaint and historic--just like much of Disneyland--is never a bad thing.
I took this picture by it's a small world near sunset, with the Monorail cruising over the old Motor Boat Cruise dock.
I rode the Monorail once, and we were forced to get off at the Downtown Disney station even though there was no one in line.
The Monorail’s winding course above the Autopia is delightfully confusing, a reminder of when the attraction was limited to this stretch of beam way.
I wasn’t expecting to enjoy the Autopia as much as I did. It brought back memories of riding the old Turnpike ride at Kennywood, with its similar overpasses and wooded setting. It’s definitely the best ride of its kind out there, and I would miss it if it were ever to close.
Autopia: adding to the smoggy California air for more than 65 years
The greenery on the Autopia really sets it apart from the decidedly lamer Tomorrowland Speedway in Florida.
There was no way that I was going to miss seeing this Disneyland historical remnant: the three fences! Three different eras of Disneyland's history converge here, with the oldest (in the rear) dating back to the 1950s. I was in star-struck awe of being in a place where Disneyland history is so alive!! 
Some corners of Disneyland, like the Tomorrowland Railroad Station, may have been masked by new facades or signs put into place over the past 60 years, but it’s not hard to see that their bones are still largely from the 1950s.
I understand that Tomorrowland Station was meant to shield the old steam trains from the then-futuristic world of 1986 (as portrayed in 1958). It still does its job all these years later.
Of course I had to take a picture of the Peoplemover body on the Buzz Lightyear gift shop cash register. I shook my fist and yelled something at the cast member about the credit card terminal on top of a Peoplemover car being symbolic of Paul Pressler's money-hungry greed, but she didn't seem to get what I was saying. ;-)
I spent very little time in Galaxy’s Edge, but I need to tag a few pictures onto this post. Rise of the Resistance blew me away like no ride has ever done before. I went in almost spoiler-free (it’s impossible to avoid seeing pictures of the AT-AT scene), so the simulator/drop tower finale astounded me, and the rest of the ride felt like I was in a completely different place. Racing through the show building corridors, it’s obvious that this ride is on a scale that is many times grander than any other attraction Disney has built. It is really the modern crown jewel of Disneyland’s dark rides, a collection that may be the best in the world.
After riding Rise of the Resistance, the Millennium Falcon attraction felt like somewhat of a downgrade, but it’s a solid simulator in its own right. What made it really special was the fact that there are six people in my family, meaning we filled every seat in the capsule. I told my youngest sister to sit where you pull the lever to jump to hyperspace, and we actually worked together pretty well as a team. For once.
I had to scout out the last remaining piece of the House of the Future. No one else seemed to understand my excitement for some reason. ;-) Seriously, you would never guess this was here if you didn’t know exactly where to look.
Nothing could prepare me for Space Mountain, as YouTube videos can never imitate a roller coaster in the dark. I was amazed at the ride's length, especially given that its building is so much smaller than the Space Mountain in Florida.
The first part of the ride's queue feels like it's right out of the 70s, but once you get inside, the space-themed decor feels less dated.
I could have stood in the Space Mountain queue watching the rockets dispatch all day. Disney is in a league all its own when it comes to efficiency and capacity. The most amazing thing to me was how there was a transfer track just for disabled guests, taking the trains off the main track for quicker loading.
In a land that seems to be in a constant identity crisis, it's a safe bet that Space Mountain will always be a constant.
Gazing off to Space Mountain in the distance, we can make out the Santa Ana Mountains, which you can barely see anywhere in the park.
Next post will be a full look at Disneyland after dark, but for now, here’s a moody picture of the Astro Orbitor. Most things at Disneyland look better after dark (even the abandoned Peoplemover track)!

14 comments:

JB said...

Hi, Andrew. I love the curvy, swoopy PeopleMover track snaking its way through Tomorrowland. It really says "the future" to me. Well, that and that spacey mountainy thingy.

In the Matterhorn pics, I'm seeing faces in the various rock and cave formations that I never noticed before. I wonder if the Imagineers did that on purpose or if it's just me seeing things that aren't really there.

In the close-up of the Bobsleds, we see the tattooed arm of a giant, about to smash the blue Bobsled.

"I was amazed by how the Monorail rides so close to the ground around the Matterhorn". All the better to generate extra excitement as you see the Monorail swoosh by so close!

In the Sub lagoon, does that red octopus (on the rock) move? I like the "Mine" "Mine" seagulls on the buoy. And the Matterhorn has lots of detail in these pics that we don't see in Major P.'s slide scans (as nice as they are). This really is a nice photo.

The Subs look nice with their shiny golden yellow (and blue) paint. I don't mind this version even though the gray Subs will always hold a special place in my heart. I like the (mostly) new names of the Subs, too.

Hmmm, can't say I'm a fan of this version of the Monorail sign, station, and font. Yes, "quirky" is a good word for it. And I agree with Major P., I like the shape of the trains but the 'cartoons' on the side cheapen it; make it look like just another billboard upon which to slap a message. Nice picture though!

I'm ambivalent about this design of the Autopia cars. There are elements that I like and some that I'm not too crazy about.

There has never been a better picture of the 'three fences' intersection.

It's funny how I keep picturing real people inside those Storm Trooper uniforms.

I love the detailing in Galaxy's Edge. It's (dare I say) light years beyond what Disney has done before.

HOTF remnant: Best. Photo. Ever! haha. I notice that it's "go away green". So... what are we looking at here? Part of the support structure for the House? Nice leafy leafs. ;-)

The interior shot of Space Mountain is great! The colors (which work here, I think), the perspective lines, the futuristic decor... It's like an artist's concept drawing come to life.

Excellent close-up shot of Space Mountain peeking (and peaking) up over the trees.

The distant shot of SM looks like a real 'future landscape'.

Ooh! Nice nighttime teaser. Thanks again for the wonderful photos, Andrew. This is an excellent series of posts!

"Lou and Sue" said...

WOW(!), Andrew - another amazing post! I will return another time to add my comments, as it's super late (wee early morning here) and I have to "hit the hay." I'll be back...

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, I agree with you about the Tomorrowland entrance panels. I hope if they ever decide to update.....I mean, ruin Tomorrowland even further, that they leave those in place. I'm glad to see that they have been returned to their original iridescent glory. When they redid Tomorrowland in 1998, they painted them a horrid brownish copper color. Then at some point, they painted them just a flat gray color. It looked a little better, but they still weren't iridescent. They must have restored that when they installed those planter "bowls" in front of them, a few years ago.

As always, I love your photography. I especially love the shots of the park, with very few people in it. As for your photo of the crows, did you happen to see a blonde woman in a green tweed suit, screaming and running away from them? If you haven't seen Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, I highly recommend it!

I'm glad that you were able to find such historic remnants like the section of 1950s Tomorrowland fencing, and the concrete planter from the House of the Future. In recent years, the planter wall has been pretty well hidden by that camouflage netting. I'm happy to see that the netting has now slipped down far enough to expose the wall, once again.

I can tell you that the Matterhorn definitely got a lot rougher, after the last redesign of the ride vehicles. I used to be able to ride the Matterhorn without any problems. The first time I rode in one of the new vehicles, I literally had to go to the chiropractor the next day, for an adjustment. The Matterhorn used to be one of my favorite attractions. Now, I don't see myself riding it again, unless they do something about those vehicles. Fortunately, I am still able to ride Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain without any problems.

JB, I'm sure Andrew will answer your questions, but I just have to chime in and tell you that the tattooed arm belongs to the new Abominable Snowman. The park "designers" wanted to make him more "hip and happening," so they shaved one arm and gave him tattoos. They also gave him a nose ring, a lip ring, an eyebrow ring, and a few other strategically placed "rings." In addition to the body jewelry, they gave him a mohawk and dyed it hot pink and electric blue. Now he matches the Castle! (I know, I know....the Castle is no longer as bright and gaudy as it was initially, after it's last paint job.)

Thank you for another great trip report, Andrew. I'll be looking forward to your "Disneyland After Dark" installment. I hope Annette Funicello and Bobby Rydell are going to be included in it! ;-)

Melissa said...

"Going down stairs in a shopping cart," hehe. I'm going to have to steal that one.

I used to say that Disney would never again build anything with the same scale and scope as Horizons, but it sounds like maybe Rise of the Resistance is proving me wrong.

Gorgeous pictures as always.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I'm glued to your first photo entering Tomorrowland. Almost feels like I'm stepping back into 1967. And no crowds. I LOVE it!

"...might feel like you're riding down stairs in a shopping cart...." HAHAHAHA! I love that, too, Melissa!

I'm surprised that ANYTHING remains of the HotF, especially since us fans would probably pay a small fortune to own a piece of it. I guess I shouldn't say that, as we'd prefer the last piece stays in place. But not buried.

Andrew, seeing everything through your eyes and point of view - is exciting. Next time I go to Disneyland, I want to hire you as my tour guide. And, as always, your pictures are gorgeous and your commentary's a blast! Thank you, and I'm looking forward to your next post.

Andrew said...

JB, thanks as always for such a nice comment. I was debating whether or not to include the bobsled picture because of that arm, but I figured that you would enjoy seeing proof that the yeti really does exist. I could probably jump and almost touch the Monorail in that spot by the Tomorrowland Terrace.

The octopus from Finding Dory is static, and honestly, I don’t think it looks good in the lagoon. The Subs were yellow even before Finding Nemo, so I think most people are used to it now.

I think the Monorail sign is a remnant of the 90s Tomorrowland, still sporting its red and gold paint scheme. I would also prefer it if they didn’t cover the trains with character pictures… I mean, they’re not even trying to promote a new film here, so is it really necessary?

Ha, maybe Disney used real skeletons again like in Pirates to create the Storm Trooper figures! Re: House of the Future… thank you for the well-deserved compliment about my amazing photography skills. ;-)

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I also like how they reused the pattern on the entrance panels for the new Tomorrowland signs that hang from the Peoplemover track. And I appreciate that the planter bowls in front of them pay tribute to the fountains that were there so long ago.

I just had to whip out my camera and get a quick shot of those crows. Yes, I can say that I’ve seen The Birds! I actually ripped down that camouflage netting just so I could get a better shot of that HotF planter. ;-) Finding old pieces of history is always fun at a park, and Disneyland has no shortage of things to see in that regard.

Geez, I can’t believe that the Matterhorn actually made you have to see a chiropractor. Sounds like a great opportunity for a lawsuit! Good call on staying away from it after that. (You’re wiser than I would be.)

The new tattooed Abominable Snowman shares a lot in common with some of today’s cast members! ;-) It all started when they started allowing mustaches (picture Walt rolling in his grave). Thanks for the comment!

Andrew said...

Melissa, I’ve heard the shopping cart quip somewhere else before, but I can’t remember where it was. I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

Andrew said...

Sue, I took the first picture before rope drop. A few minutes later, the rope was down and that walkway was flooded with people heading toward Space Mountain. You know that I’d love to have you as a tour guide just as much! Even though I know a lot, I’m sure I have nothing on your firsthand experience of Disneyland history. :-)

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, I forgot to mention that I also like how the pattern from the Tomorrowland entrance panels, was repeated on the Tomorrowland sign. Nice touch! I also like the new planters/bowls that were added. What did you think of the planters and sculptures that replaced the "french fry rocks" at the entrance? I haven't seen them in person. In fact, I don't know if I've even seen photos of them.....only the "artist's concept" drawing. They looked like they would be a huge improvement over the giant brown rocks, which were a major eyesore!

I actually did ride the Matterhorn just once more after that initial ride in the new vehicles. It was when they added the new Yeti to the ride, I had seen footage of it online, but I wanted to see it in person. Someone had told me that riding in the front seat of one of the bobsleds was not quite as bad as the other seats, so I requested a front seat. It was still bad, but not quite as bad, because you didn't have to put your feet into those "slots." Still, I will be passing on riding it again, until they do something about those vehicles.

Melissa and Andrew, a year or so after the new Matterhorn vehicles were introduced, I came across a photo-shopped version of the original attraction poster, online. Someone had taken the original poster and removed the bobsled in the foreground, and replaced it with people riding in a shopping cart, down a flight of stairs! I know I saved that image, but in recent years I have searched and searched for it and cannot find it anywhere in my files, or online. If I come across it again, I will definitely share it with you! The altered poster was very well done, and it was a very accurate portrayal of how the ride now feels.

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, believe it or not, the left side of the Tomorrowland entrance planters was still “under construction” when I was at the park, and the right side had some gardens that look nothing like the concept art. Maybe the rocks were eyesores, but just having construction walls up is pretty ugly too! It makes sense that you rode in the front of the Matterhorn car for a smoother ride–-the back seat of each bobsled is definitely the roughest. Let me know if you find that poster! It sounds hilarious.

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh boy, Tomorrowland! My favorite. I really do wish they’d do something with that Peoplemover track - there are occasional rumors of its demise, and I’d rather they made use of it. Especially if it meant that I could get up on it somehow.

The metallic walls at the entrance look so iridescent!

I hadn’t been on the Matterhorn since its redo (I forget when that was), but BOY is it rough. I lost three teeth. I think some of the Abominable Snowman effects weren’t working, too. So you saw the hoards of crows, it seems like there are hundreds.

I’m sorry you didn’t get to ride the Nemo subs, but I did it a few weeks ago, and while there is much to admire, it still leaves me kind of flat. The lagoon looks beautiful when you are looking out the portholes during a bright sunny day.

I’ve skipped the Autopia the last few visits… I actually think that the scenery that we drive though is pretty nice, and I like that they combined two Autopias for one longer ride. Is it just me, or is it pretty hard to keep that gas pedal down for the whole ride? Maybe I need to work on my leg strength!

Wow, I probably walked right past that Peoplemover body in the Buzz Lightyear gift shop, without even clocking on to what it was.

“Rise of the Resistance” is pretty spectacular, it was by far the longest queue I waited in, but felt it was worth it. My most recent visit found it mostly not operating, sadly. I guess it breaks down often, like “Indy”.

I think that door right beneath the red “Space Mountain” lettering is the one I used to finally exit that queue, since it kept breaking down. It was going to be my last ride of the night, but luckily I’d already done it early in the day.

I’ll never get tired of your trip reports!

Andrew said...

Major, there is nothing stopping you from getting on the Peoplemover track. Just run until someone notices! Sorry for your lost teeth on the Matterhorn. Of the three abominable snowman figures, I noticed that at least one of them was hardly working. I know that I might not love the Submarine Voyage because of the Nemo theme, but I’m sure I would still be able to appreciate the history of such an old ride.

I didn’t find the Autopia gas pedal hard to hold down, but I remember I struggled with the pedal on Florida’s Tomorrowland Speedway when I first rode it in 2014. My dad crashed right behind my car because I stopped suddenly! I agree that Rise of the Resistance is worth the wait–it was our longest queue too, and the multiple preshows kept going and going. Thanks for the comment!

Chris S said...

I can't wait for more! These are great