Saturday, July 1, 2023

EPCOT 2023

Day two of our orchestra trip brought us to the recently-renamed EPCOT, formerly Epcot and née EPCOT Center. I like to start my trip reports out in confusing ways, see? ;-) We only had a half-day at one of the world's unique theme parks due to an orchestra workshop, but it was probably the best day to do it, as I didn't feel the need to spend 12 hours at the park.

I have always been obsessed with the original EPCOT Center, but with so little remaining from the park's original attractions, there is a disconnect between the ideal EPCOT in my head and what we actually have today. That doesn't mean that I wasn't able to enjoy the park, but it meant there were many moments during the day when I paused and felt sad when I remembered what used to be in that location.


One thing that never disappoints at EPCOT is Spaceship Earth. Nothing against the castles, but Spaceship Earth is the best opening statement to any theme park I've visited.


I was excited to see the improvements made to the park since the last time I visited in 2018, and the refurbished entrance is wonderful. The pylon fountain (I don't know if there's an official name) is a great tribute to the EPCOT of the past that is still strikingly futuristic today.


I am thrilled that Imagineering decided to revive some of the park's original iconography and create new symbols for the rest of the pavilions. However, while the refreshed landscaping, fountain, and flags are all really nice, I was disappointed that so little progress had been made on the center of the park since 2018. I knew it would be closed ahead of time, but it was still disheartening to see the site of the once beautiful Fountain of Nations, removed in 2019, as a dirt plot surrounded by construction walls.


I figured that since we hadn't arrived close to rope drop, a ride on Spaceship Earth would be a good way to start our visit. It was posted as a 15-minute wait, which is long for this attraction. (One of my teachers saw me in line and said, "fifteen minutes, you can't beat that!!") When we were almost at the front of the line, though, I got a call from my sister that I had somehow used her ticket to get into the park and that she was unable to enter! I had gotten our tickets mixed up when I linked them to the app. Being a great brother, I returned to the entrance and cleared up the misunderstanding, though I was tempted to tell her to suck it up and hop on a bus to tour beautiful Lake Buena Vista. Or something.


I returned to ride Spaceship Earth later, and it makes me happy that there is still one mostly original EPCOT dark ride left. Luckily the ride's original mural remains untouched.


The winding ride up through the sphere past so many animatronics is one-of-a-kind, and the ride path is pretty steep at points. The descent is quite underwhelming, with the designers attempting to distract you with a touch screen on the Omnimover vehicle. If you pay attention to that, though, you'll miss all the painted-over remnants from old versions of the attraction around you.


Here are those ubiquitous construction walls. I would hope that after five years of work, the center of the park is nothing short of amazing. But I also know not to expect that.


Our visit occurred during the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival, and seeing the park awash in flowers was definitely the highlight of the visit for me. Oh, aside from the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind coaster, which I somehow neglected to photograph! It was my favorite ride of the trip and probably my favorite Disney coaster I have ridden. As far as achieving EPCOT's lofty goals to inspire and educate, it doesn't amount to much more than a tricked-out version of Space Mountain, but it does what it set out to do extremely well. There's even a guitar cover of the old Universe of Energy theme in a room that is very reminiscent of one of the old ride's theaters. That made me smile.


Having so little time at the park meant we skipped both Soarin' and Living with the Land. I was especially sad to miss the latter, even though I had ridden it before. Yes, it's just a boat ride through a greenhouse, but for some reason, it's really enjoyable for people like me who love old-school EPCOT!


We did Journey Into Imagination with Figment for some reason, and it was just as painful as I remembered it. I find it so frustrating that Disney has allowed this confused replacement for the original Journey Into Imagination to run for twenty-plus years, subjecting thousands of guests to repulsive skunk scent. At least the Figment topiary is nice.


From a distance, Test Track looks like it could still be World of Motion. Even though I wish I could have ridden the original dark ride in this spot, Test Track is fun as a thrill ride, and while not exactly inspirational, it fits in better with the rest of the park than the majority of the other recent additions.


Seeing this quilt of flowers was absolutely stunning, especially with the floating flower baskets in the foreground. And I loved the gorgeous clouds backing the classic EPCOT architecture and Monorail!


We had to leave the park in the middle of the day for our workshop, taking four separate bus rides (to and from the park, stopping at the hotel for instruments going both ways). The "Disney Imagination Campus" workshop was not what I was expecting it to be, but it was still enjoyable. We played "Grim Grinning Ghosts" and other songs, but we spent the most time on "Finale" from "Carnival of the Animals." At the end, they spliced our recording into the animated sequence from Fantasia 2000 that goes along with the music. Strictly no photos or videos were allowed.


Back at EPCOT, it was time to tackle World Showcase. The majority of our time was spent admiring the architecture and aimlessly wandering around looking for places to spend our dining gift cards, but that's what World Showcase is all about I think!


The majority of the Flower and Garden topiaries are in World Showcase, like the dragon in Japan...


...and pandas in China!


I found it strange that there was still an exhibit about Shanghai Disneyland in the China pavilion, obviously from before the park opened in 2016. I was separated from my friends while they were getting something to eat, and I couldn't get into the Temple of Heaven because there were tables set up inside for a special event. So I wandered into this exhibit by myself. 


Although they're placed smack-dab in the middle of the Italy pavilion, the Lady and the Tramp topiaries might be my favorites. Italy was pretty nice, but after seeing that there was no Papa John's pizza available, we moved on to the next pavilion...


America.


Just like at the China pavilion, they were using the American Adventure lobby for a special event, so we weren't able to go inside the rotunda. Luckily, the show was still running, but you had to enter through the exit hallway. I loved the American Adventure in 2018, and it was just as good as I remembered. The rest of the audience did not seem to agree with that sentiment, however, as the exit doors opened four or five separate times during the performance as people got bored, bringing light into the auditorium.


Scenes like this Depression-era porch are so well-staged and engagingly scripted that I don't know how you could get up and leave in the middle of it! 


After that lengthy show, night was starting to fall. Our day was capped off by the EPCOT Forever fireworks show, which was a great treat for me, but I'm sure it was a head-scratcher for many. I'm sure that most people are completely clueless as to what songs like "Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit" are from, and while "Magic Journeys" has a beautiful melody, it's from an early 80s 3D movie that was at the park for all of four years! The conclusion to your day at Epcot should leave you hopeful and optimistic, and Illuminations definitely accomplished that goal in a way EPCOT Forever does not. I loved the show, but at the end of the day, it basically amounts to trotting out an old EPCOT Center cassette tape and launching a few fireworks, failing to connect with the majority of its audience.


Before the fireworks, we were lucky enough to see one of the only other untouched pieces of EPCOT Center remaining, Impressions De France. It only runs for thirty minutes at the beginning of the day (what is that, like two showings?) and a couple of hours at the end of the night. The rest of the day, the theater is home to a Beauty and the Beast sing-along.


The film had been remastered in 4K since I had last seen it, which was a real treat. I had forgotten that the "Finale" from "Carnival of the Animals" is featured in the film, which I found amusing considering that we had performed it earlier in the day!


The new lights on Spaceship Earth might be the most brilliant feature added for the fiftieth anniversary of WDW. Combined with the spotlights hitting the sphere, the overall effect is dazzling.


I love how the fountain pylons are lit as well. Even though the park will never again be the way it was in the 80s, it is some consolation that this symbol has returned. Here I am, waxing nostalgic, and I never visited EPCOT before 2014!


I may have enjoyed the other parks more, but we still had an amazing time. I got lots of comments on my Horizons T-shirt, and like the rest of the trip, it was very special to visit one of my favorite places with all my friends in orchestra. It may be a while before I return, but I can rest easy knowing that in some small ways, the 80s are still alive at a place where the 21st century truly did begin early... on October 1, 1982.

15 comments:

JB said...

I'm SO confused! ;-) They shoulda just stuck with the "Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow"... rolls right off the tongue, like melted butter on toast. :-\

Evidently, according to your first pic, we're supposed to aim for the clouds in case of an emergency. I don't see any edge to the plastic on the sign. It must be a projected hologram. This really IS the City Of Tomorrow!

there were many moments during the day when I paused and felt sad when I remembered what used to be in that location." And I thought it was only us old-timers who experienced 'Disneyitis' vis-à-vis Disneyland. I guess TRE is universal.

Is that pylon made of clear plastic? Or reflective metal? Perhaps it's a huge dilithium crystal (worth trillions of quatloos... or zillions in gold-pressed latinum.)

Beautiful shot of Spaceship Earth flanked by the two palm trees.

That Renaissance scene looks great; wonderful lighting. Just like one of Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings.

Those flowers are a feast for the eyes! I like the flower 'islands' dotting the water feature.

In the World of Motion pic, what are those white things on poles, to the left? They look like albino penguins on rotisserie spits. Exploding Animatronic Duck alert!!!

Oooh! I love the "quilt of flowers" picture. When Walt envisioned EPCOT, I bet this is what he was thinking of.

Whoa! The next one is even better! Beautiful, serene, and exciting; all at once!

"Grim Grinning Ghosts" seems like a fun piece of music for an orchestra to play.
_____________

I'm only halfway done! Part two will commence shortly.

JB said...

I'm trying to decide if the Japanese dragon topiary has any real flora on it, or if it's entirely man-made materials, like the head, tail, and spines.

I like how the topiary pandas are holding bamboo in their paws.

Hmmm, architecturally, I much prefer Italy's showcase over America's. The warm earth tones look more inviting.

The American Adventure auditorium looks nice. I especially like the wavy proscenium and apron.

In the Depression-era scene, all the AA characters are in very life-like poses... except the one on the far right; he looks kinda stiff and awkward.

I love the nighttime shots! Thanks for another excellent trip report, Andrew.

Nanook said...

Andrew-
Well... back in the day, the official way to ID 'the 2nd gate at WDW' was either EPCOT or Epcot Center. In other words, the only time the name would appear in all caps was for its initialism. It was always a slippery slope, as are the proper names for each castle, the Tom Sawyer Island and the King Arthur Carousel.

I haven't seen EPCOT since 2012, but am very well acquainted with it, beginning with walking the site during construction and in its very earliest days, remembering it fondly. Thanks for sharing more of your great images with us.

MIKE COZART said...

Andrew … I read all the articles in Disney News as EPCOT CENTER developed. I remember early on I was confused about what it was exactly and I preferred reading about the construction of Big Thunder Mountain and Tokyo Disneyland. By the time EPCOT CENTER opened , I was an expert … and one Christmas I received the Christopher Finch book EPCOT CENTER …. The most glorious book of WED Imagineering goodness …..I knew how everything developed and what was “coming soon” …. But I didn’t see EPCOT CENTER until 1984 ….

I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!!

How was this place really here after reading about its design and development and seeing very few photos released before its opening. And HORIZONS …… WORLD OF MOTION ….. this is what the WED Imagineers could do if given the chance … everything was INCREDIBLE and so EXCITING ….

And now it’s almost all gone …. It’s like having a great dream and then having problems remembering the dream a week later …. Then most of it is gone altogether.

I know this sounds sugary , but early EPCOT CENTER was inspiring …. You wanted the future to be HORIZONS ….the architecture of FUTURE WORLD …. Moving tile murals … carpets of projected saturated colors …. Touch activated computer screens !!! Elaborate orchestrated music scores for all these fantastic pavilions …. Amazing transport and show systems …. Everything was amazing … and grand ….. big and wonderful.

I can remember my very first EPCOT CENTER visit like it was 2 weeks ago … even small tiny details ….. the Roman chariot and driver projected to move across the background of glorious Ancient Rome scene in Spaceship Earth….the smell of the citrus crops in the desert farm in HORIZONS … the Disneyland in the floating space colony! The exploding volcano in UNIVERSE OF ENERGY and how the whole theater broke apart and became moving stage cars and we went right into and thru the scenes!

Several years ago I was there with some relatives and friends who had never been to EPCOT …. And none of them were impressed and I had to keep explaining what USED to be there and how thing WERE … they all thought that sounded amazing and questioned why all of that was taken out …. It was embarrassing . I still love EPCOT CENTER …. But I have to squint and really look into the past and remember the way it was.

MIKE COZART said...

Oh… I was really excited when the EPCOT CENTER PYLON fountain was recreated . The new one was difficult as it wasn’t quite understood how the thick towering clear acrylic pylons were created … when a recently retired plastic manufacturer helped out with details … he was a new employee back when the original 1982 pylons were created and helped WDI with some much needed information .

Incidentally the three pylons with the repeated EPCOT CENTER rings logo was originally to have a separate pylon with each having an etched logo from each FUTURE WORLD pavilion…. But miniatures and models proved that many pylons made it too cluttered so like the rule you group trees in threes .. three pylons were constructed. And the current reconstruction is perfect….. but actually better than the 1982 original … as true to EPCOT’s legacy , modern technology will prevent the crystal clear acrylic from ever getting milky or hazy! Reminding me of the first Disney News article I ever read introducing EPCOT CENTER …. “ THE FUTURE IS FANTASTIC!!!”

MIKE COZART said...

Clarification : when I was an architectural student we had a rule about presentation illustrations : “ always group TREES in THREES … it’s sure to PLEASE “!!! Lol …. I bet they don’t teach THAT in architectural illustration anymore! And they don’t have to learn how to properly clean the tips of their rapidiograph drafting pens either…

I feel old .

Chuck said...

Andrew, I haven’t been to EPCOT in a long, long time (January of 2004, so possibly before you were born), and so many things I have read over the years about the ongoing changes have left me cold and made me sad. While I know the the original “high concept” ethos of the early days is long gone, your lens managed to capture so much of what is still there, and, like IllumiNations, has left me hopeful at the end of the day.

I love the recreation of the original entry fountain, and it made me smile to see the original attraction iconography again. It helps that you are a theme park nerd, and your photos captured just the right scenes from/the right angles at the right time of day. Thank you, my friend. Thank you.

Mike, it’s not so important to group trees in threes anymore now that it’s widely known that trees have no scale.

Chuck said...

Forgot something…your description of people walking out of The American Adventure mid-show reminded me of visiting Tropical Serenade on my honeymoon. Mrs. Chuck had no recollection of seeing the show on any previous visits, so it was essentially new to her. She was really enjoying it…and then two young teens and a parent bolted about 30 seconds into the original second number (the Offenbach instrumental that was removed a few years later), allowing a blaze of outdoor light int the theater and spoiling the mood for a moment. That moment of rudeness still sticks with me 29 years, 9 months, and 13 days later, and I think that was the first moment that I realized that changes in culture were affecting the Disney guest experience for the worse. Such a thing would have been much less likely had they had to plunk down three “D” coupons (costing the equivalent of $15.27 in 2023 dollars) to enter.

MIKE COZART said...

Chuck : similar rude guests experiences here too : a guests tapping on a Cel phone through the first act of carousel of progress ( man if I had a baseball bat with me that day I would have been in the news!!) guests running out of the carousel of progress when they heard fireworks outside ….

Andrew said...

JB, who’s saying that the sky isn’t the best emergency exit of all?! I’m assuming that the pylon fountain is made of plastic, probably acrylic.

Most of my Spaceship Earth interior pictures didn’t turn out great, but I’m glad I have at least one good one. Seeing all of the Flower and Garden Festival displays was definitely one of my favorite things about this day… with the rest of the park so beautiful, you can almost overlook the gaping hole in the center of old Future World!

I think the poles in the Test Track picture are just for some type of lights or projectors? I honestly don’t know. It looks like a lot of birds are resting on them.

You’ve never really heard “Grim Grinning Ghosts” until you’ve heard it sight read by a high school orchestra. ;-)

Like most of the topiaries, the Japanese dragon has a lot of extra decorations, but it’s pretty easy to make out which parts are made of real plants. I don’t think anyone is particularly a fan of the somewhat ugly behemoth that is the American Adventure show building! But the show inside is much better than the design of the exterior.

Andrew said...

Nanook, thanks for clarifying that EPCOT was originally known as one of two names. I agree that the “proper” names of some attractions verge on being trivial (with possessives, etc.)

Maybe in ~25 years~ when construction on the center of the park is done, you could make a return visit. But it might be full of too many disappointments for the price of admission.

Andrew said...

Mike, I can only imagine how exciting it might have been for a young Disney fan to read about the development of EPCOT! I found the same book as you at a local used book store when I was a lot younger, and it totally got me hooked as well.

Your description of what finally visiting the park did for you is absolutely wonderful. I will forever be sad that I never had the chance to experience any of those classic attractions, but at least there are so many videos that can at least give a taste of how grand they were.

I love that someone with knowledge of how the original fountain was made had to help today’s Imagineers. They did a great job with the new entrance plaza, but sadly I know that retro look and spirit is unlikely to be restored in the park’s attractions. I didn't know that the original concept for the fountain featured logos from all the pavilions. I would love to see concept art of that design before they remembered to group the “trees” in threes. Thanks so much for the comment.

Andrew said...

Chuck, it sounds like your last EPCOT visit was six months before I was born. :-) Despite never seeing the original park for myself, I still feel attached to that era when WED completely stepped outside its comfort zone to do something wholly awe-inspiring and unique. I’m glad that through this post, EPCOT accomplished its mission to endow optimism in you. Or something.

Wow, sounds like the person walking out of Tropical Serenade is part of the reason we ended up with the “Under New Management” version of the show. The Tiki Room seems to have achieved decidedly untouchable classic status today. When we saw it a few months ago, the full house was laughing and having a great time, probably because they had spent much more than the cost of a "D" coupon to be in the park that day.

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, I absolutely love that entrance fountain. It was dumb of them to ever get rid of the original one! I haven't seen this new addition in person. The last time I was there, those funereal monoliths were still there at the entrance. It was such a depressing look for the park's entrance. Who came up with that idea? I know, it was the bean counters who want to "monetize" everything.

I'm so glad that Spaceship Earth's original attraction is still intact, for the most part. And I'm glad to see that mural is still there, too!

That's interesting that you were able to get into the park on your sister's ticket, but she wasn't able to enter with yours.

The flowers are beautiful. I have been to EPCOT a few times, during the Flower and Garden Festival. They do a really nice job with the special plantings.

I hope they leave the Land Pavilion's boat ride alone! I also think that it is special, because it is old-school EPCOT!

That current Journey Into Imagination attraction is just a monstrosity. There is no other word for it. Why on earth do they insist on changing things and then swapping them out for something that isn't anywhere near as good as what was original there?

In your World Showcase pic of the lagoon, we can see a red crane sticking up above the trees on the horizon. What is that being used for?

That's odd that they still have a Shanghai DL exhibit over in the China pavilion. I remember when the exhibit in there was promoting Hong Kong DL. Funny, but I can't remember what was in there before that. I wonder what the exhibit was, prior to them trying to promote their parks in China?

It's nice to see that "Impressions de France" is still there, even if it's showings are limited now. It's another "old-school" EPCOT attraction.

Thanks for the EPCOT trip report, Andrew! As usual, I'm loving all of your photography!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, you're right, the "Leave a Legacy" monoliths were totally just another money grab without regard for the atmosphere of the area. Although I'm sure some people enjoyed seeing their pictures etched into the plated stones, they did move the pictures to separate, much less intrusive boards outside the gates, so I think everyone is happy with the change.

I don't know what happened with my and my sister's tickets, but we got into the park, so that's all that matters.

Living with the Land is timeless! What's more exciting than a big greenhouse filled with plants??

Hmm, that's a good question about the crane. I think it's around where they typically store the fireworks barges and Friendship boats, but I have no idea why it's there.

I think the China pavilion used to have an exhibit about the terracotta warriors at some point. We didn't go in there in 2014 so I can't say for sure. Thanks for the comment!