Thursday, May 30, 2019

Islands of Adventure's Seuss Landing

Yesterday, we covered Toon Lagoon at Universal's Islands of Adventure; today we're taking a look at the other cartoon-related "island" - Seuss Landing, which is based on the characters of famous children's book author Dr. Seuss.

 Entering the whimsical word... everything here is topsy-turvy.
The house of the Once-ler here is very cool, and you can't see in this picture, but it's actually surrounded by truffula trees.
They even brought in curved trees - bended by Hurricane Andrew - to decorate the land! You can see where they've been growing straight up since 1999.
The "Zax By-Pass." Read the book if you don't understand it; it's in The Sneetches and Other Stories.
 Here's the wacky entrance for the Cat In the Hat darkride. The ride is really cool - a lot better than I thought it would be.
Green Eggs and Ham, one of the most well-known Seuss tales. This is an eatery that actually used to serve...what else...green eggs and ham, but it appears to be no longer in use.
I hope you've enjoyed you're piece mental jaunt through Seuss Landing. Not seen in this post is a peoplemover-esque ride, a highly fanciful carousel with Seuss-like characters, and a One Fish, Two Fish spinner ride. Thanks for reading, and who knows, we might cover other lands in Islands of Adventure in the future on here!

4 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I loved the Cat In The Hat dark ride! Like you, I thought it was so much better than what I was expecting. It was a very pleasant surprise.

As for the PeopleMover-type ride that you mentioned, It was closed on my first visit to IOA and it wasn't even listed on the park's guide map. When I asked an employee about the overhead track, he told me that there was a problem with it, but now I can't remember what that problem was. Apparently, it was closed for many years and I'm not sure if it ever been open at that time....I think the employee told me that it had never actually operated for guests. Anyway, it was finally open by the last time I visited IOA and was another ride that I thought was very enjoyable. I love Universal Islands of Adventure!

Andrew said...

My dad was also very impressed by Cat in the Hat!

I was closely examining my Universal Orlando map recently, and the track above Seuss Landing (I just realized I spelled that wrong in the post!) still shows small, individual cars, which must've been part of the earlier ride you mentioned. I feel like I've read somewhere that it was supposed to be a ride where the riders could control their own speed.

Chuck said...

Embarrassed to admit I've never been to a Universal Park outside of California. When in Orlando, we always find ourselves on a Disney property. This place looks pretty neat; I will need to visit before they retheme this, too..

BTW, "The Zax" is one of the stories in The Sneetches and Other Stories rather than Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories (apparently, Random House had some sort of formula for Seuss titles). I grew up loving the Seuss books, and I've managed to pass that love on to my kids. I can still recite portions of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish from memory.

Andrew said...

I could've figured that out with a quick Google; I feel lazy now!

I remember watching the animated version of "The Sneetches", which also included "The Zax". The image of all the cars whizzing around in the end of that feature has stuck in my mind for years!