Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Indiana Beach

One of the last stops on our Midwest road trip was Indiana Beach, a lakeside park in Monticello, a town in North-Central Indiana. In February of last year, it was announced that this 90-year-old park would close forever. I was sad that I would never get to visit, but luckily, a buyer stepped in, and this strangely turned out to actually be one of the first amusement parks in the country to reopen. After more than a decade of corporate ownership, the park is now family owned once again!
The Indiana Beach mascot is a crow!
Being in the middle of nowhere Indiana, it's cool to walk out of these trees and enter the park across a suspension bridge.
Here you can see some of the park's densely-packed roller coasters. It's a great entrance approach.
The most unique coaster at Indiana Beach is Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain. It's by far the wackiest coaster I've ridden. A while back, the park wanted to add some extra thrills to one of their dark rides, so they wound roller coaster track around the faux mountain that was used for the former ride. As a result, Lost Coaster has not only an extremely tight turning radius, but an elevator lift (the structure to the left in the below image), enclosed cars, and various darkride effects. And the most amazing thing is that it's a wooden coaster! The video shows this ride better than I can explain it.
Cornball Express reflects the Indiana Beach slogan: "There's more than corn in Indiana!"
This is one of the park's two traditional wood coasters. Built in 2001, it is the lower track in the picture below. The train above is actually for a different coaster, Hoosier Hurricane, built in 1994. Of the two, I definitely preferred Cornball Express; even though it's smaller, it offers much better airtime! 
Steel Hawg is an unorthodox steel coaster that had the world's steepest drop when it opened. It was a lot of fun!
I witnessed a startling collision of two cars while in line for the Tig'rr coaster; the car didn't stop at the unload station (on the right), whipped around the bend, and crashed into the car waiting at the load area. No one was hurt, but more importantly, I was worried that I wouldn't get to ride this coaster. ;-) Luckily, it passed the rigorous Indiana Beach mechanics' inspection and reopened a couple hours later. If this was Kennywood, it would've been closed for the rest of the season.
Another Indiana Beach highlight was Frankenstein's Castle, a multi-level haunted walk-through.  Check out the facade!
It had some great tricks and took about six minutes to walk through. 
It was also fun to ride a new sky ride - this one had very minimal restraints.
Several of the Indiana Beach flat rides are built on platforms in the lake; this Yo-Yo is the best swing ride I've ever done for that reason!
Indiana Beach is a park that I had wanted to visit for years, and although there are no antique rides, the park overall does have a vintage feel. There are several completely unique rides that can’t be found anywhere else in the world, and the way attractions are layered on top of each other just makes you feel like there’s always something new to discover.

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

This looks like a fun park! I'm glad to hear that it was "saved" from permanent closure.

You are braver than me! I don't think I would go on a roller coaster....or maybe any ride, after witnessing an accident on it!

"Lou and Sue" said...

I would love riding the Lost Coaster, and exploring Frankenstein's Castle. I'm glad you attached the link to the video of the Lost Coaster - what a fun and crazy ride!

Andrew, you sure do get around to some great parks! Keep reporting because I'm really enjoying these trips - thanks, Andrew!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, sorry it took me this long to respond! This is a fun, super memorable park! Given that they seemed a little unprofessional at times, I'm a little worried that they're getting a giant coaster that was the cause of a fatal accident in Mexico at the end of 2019. I'd love to ride it but will definitely give it some time when and if they get it running.

Andrew said...

Sue, Lost Coaster was totally a "what the heck is this?!" kind of ride. I don't see myself stopping these posts as long as I still have some content to use. I always appreciate your enthusiastic replies!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, for some crazy reason, this post is NOT showing up on my phone, when I pull up your blog. It's only showing up on my computer. ????? Strange!

Andrew said...

That is weird, Sue. I changed the pictures for this post so that they enlarged more when you clicked on them - maybe that has something to do with it? I checked on my phone, and it works for me!