Thursday, February 25, 2021

Knoebels 2020

After a slightly disappointing four hours at Hersheypark, my dad and I made the hour-long drive to Knoebels, one of my favorite amusement parks. This was one of the first weekdays they were open last year, so I was able to get multiple rides on all of my favorites. Here's the amazing Flyer, still the best flat ride that I've been on. These "flying scooter" rides are a dime a dozen, but none of them allow you the wild level of control that Knoebels' does!
Twister is one of the park's two fantastic wooden coasters, patterned after the legendary Mr. Twsiter at Elitch Gardens.
 As you might guess by the picture below, the Pioneer Train provides great views of the ride, as well as the surrounding woods during its 1.5-mile trip.
While I love Twister, Phoenix will always be one of the great American coasters. Saved by the Knoebel family from a closed park in Texas, it set the example of how a coaster could be saved and is still consistently voted as the best wooden coaster in the country. 
A refreshment stand and its seating areas are housed in former merry-go-round frames that Knoebels bought. The two closest ones in this shot rotate, with the rotation of the red-and-white striped covering at left controlled by the water wheel in the far rear.
There's plenty of concession options. After all, Knoebels has the best amusement park food in the nation!

The Time Machine Theater is the home of puppet shows, and normally, ones that let the audience be part of the story.

With picnic grove roots, Knoebels lacks the grand architecture of Kennywood, but there's still some old neon.
Being from Pittsburgh, I had to go for the black and gold car on the world's best bumper cars, Skooter.
The creeks that run through Knoebels are scenic and look good at night when illuminated, but the threat of flooding they pose has caused the park some setbacks over the years, all of which they've recovered from very quickly.
This visit to Knoebels is one of my fondest memories from last year. Hopefully I'll get to go back soon!

4 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

And yet another park that I haven't been to, and might not ever get to, either. But I really enjoy experiencing it vicariously through you, Andrew. Thanks for sharing another park experience with us!

I'm curious. What happened to the "guts" of those Merry Go Rounds?

Andrew said...

As far as I know, TokyoMagic, the merry-go-round frames were never actually "filled out" and were extras Knoebels purchased from a nearby park that closed. That park had flooded before its closure and was thinking of possibly rebuilding its carousel, but they were never able to do so.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I "ditto" what TokyoMagic said. I really enjoy going to the different parks with you!

Is that your dad and sister seated on the coaster? If yes, I bet you and your family have a wonderful time together going to all these fun places and great adventures! (You have a terrific family!)

I especially love Cornelius with the pat of butter on his head ("ear")!

Thank you, Andrew!

Andrew said...

Good guess, Sue, but I don't know those people in the front seat. Looking at the girl's face, I feel bad about taking their picture, but I doubt very many people will see this post anyway. I enjoy visiting new parks with my family, though it takes a long time for six people to get around. When it's just my dad and me, we can zip around and do a lot more.

Knoebels has a lot of neat, 3D signs like that - I think that would make a great future post! Thanks for the compliments; you're really too kind. :-)