Thursday, August 26, 2021

Alice in Wonderland at The Great Escape

We covered the rest of The Great Escape in the last post, but here's a look at their classic 1967 Alice in Wonderland themed walkthrough. It's amazing that an attraction like this still exists at a Six Flags park, which have all but completely removed their unique darkrides and walkthroughs. 
Of course, you have to descend through the rabbit hole to begin your walk. Adults will have to crouch to fit through the opening.
The "homemade" feel of something like this is lacking at many Six Flags parks.
At the bottom of the rabbit hole, you emerge into the oversized room.
I don't have much to say about these displays, but I really like them!
Note the Storytown Train behind the Cheshire Cat. The creek that cuts through the park is home to a swan boat ride, also one of the original Storytown attractions.
As an aside, the other amusement park in Lake George, Magic Forest, was entirely based around a storybook walkthrough like this before rebranding itself in 2019.
Though this "walkthrough" doesn't amount to much more than a big loop down and back up a wooded hillside, it's a nice diversion that takes you away from the crowds and long lines for a few minutes. 
The Walrus appears to be pretty content sitting down.
Although these figures don't take much to maintain, it's nice that at least one trademark part of the park's Storytown USA era has been kept.
Maybe you can make out the March Hare and Mad Hatter behind this window...
Luckily, the Queen of Hearts is at a safe distance from the path so as to remain peaceful.
Back at the start of the walk, you can see how the rabbit hole leads down to the oversized room.
That's all from an attraction that is an outlier among the Six Flags chain of parks.

 A quick heads-up: after two years of posting every other week, I'm going to reduce my posts to once a month. I still have tons of material from my trips this year, but I want to be sure that I have time to focus on my schoolwork. I hope to post on the second Sunday of every month, so you can look forward to my next post on September 12th!

10 comments:

"Lou and Sue" said...

I do love how this park is wooded - which makes this 'walkthrough' even more enjoyable. A walk through nature, with lots of fun 'Alice in Wonderland' craziness! A nice retreat from the hectic real world.

Thank you, Andrew, for sharing pictures and information about this part of this historic park.

I'm glad you're still planning to continue posting. We'll all be watching for your next post. Make us proud and keep getting good grades in your schoolwork!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sue! Outdoor storybook walkthroughs are one of my favorite types of attractions. Sorry that some of these pictures are not composed the best, but I guess that's what I get for being in a rush.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, your pictures are terrific! I always feel like I’m right there with you.

Chuck said...

An “Alice” walk-through? Sign me up!

I have been enamored with the Alice books since my mother began reading them to me in pre-school, and I have exceptionally fond memories of the “Alice” walk-through at Children’s Fairyland in Oakland, CA. It’s interesting to see all of the different ways different parks choose to create attractions based on the stories, the more immersive and interactive the better. The Disneyland dark ride is a classic, but there’s something wonderful about these kinds of interpretations, too.

Thanks again for sharing, Andrew! I’m glad you have your priorities straight with schoolwork and hobbies. Looking forward to your next post in a month!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Chuck. It is odd that Alice is so popular as a walkthrough attraction - I can think of some examples in addition to the one you mentioned and the one at DLP.

TokyoMagic! said...

I also like this kind of walk-thru attraction. I hope it remains safe from removal, for many more generations to come.

We can also see the Dormouse, in that Mad Hatter and March Hare shot!

Another park that had an Alice walk-thru attraction, was Santa's Village in Sky Forrest, CA. Part of the attraction even included a "mirror maze." I never visited that park when it was open, but there are pics of the Alice attraction, on the internet:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluecastlesky/4528892510/

Thanks for sharing your pics with us, Andrew. And yes, good luck in school this year!

Anonymous said...

Wow, a mirror maze in the style of "Through the Looking Glass" is a cool concept. Thanks for the nice comment, TM!

DrGoat said...

Thanks for bringing more photos of the Storytown. You don't get to see these photos just anywhere. Nudges the old memory. Hadn't thought of that place till you posted the last group of pics and info.
Thanks Andrew. Good job. I never thought I would see images of that place again. Only in my increasingly flawed memory bank.
Second Sunday of every month. Be there or be square.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading, DrGoat. I'm amazed that I sparked memories of this place for you.

Melissa said...

Absolutely charming! And everything looks so tidy and freshly-painted.