Friday, August 12, 2022

Disneyland’s Main Street USA

It’s been more than a month since we returned, but I’m happy to finally share the first post in an 11-part series about my trip to California! I have so many pictures I want to share from Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, and Magic Mountain that I just needed to break it up into several parts. We’re starting where every trip to Disneyland begins: Main Street USA. My emotional entry to Disneyland aside, I’ll be breaking up my trip report land-by-land. But first, here’s a little bit about how we got to California.

The six-hour flight from Newark, NJ (after a quick jaunt from Pittsburgh) allowed me to appreciate some of America’s western landscape for the first time, even if it was from 30,000 feet above ground.
Touching down at LAX, it was amazing to finally be in Southern California… the farthest west I had been before was Indiana!
We saw little of the airport during our arrival and departure, but it was cool to see the iconic Theme Building, which I understand is currently vacant.
My family (my mom, dad, and three younger sisters) stayed at a condo off South Walnut Street, which borders the two parking structures to the west. Thanks to this, we were able to take a 10-minute walk to the tram loading area, which dropped us off at the Esplanade. Quite the change from sprawling Walt Disney World, the intimate feel of Disneyland was by far my favorite thing about the park.
Although my family purchased our tickets in early 2020, we were still able to use them more than two years later. We did have to pay $235 to account for the current price. That might sound like a lot, but it’s not too much for six four-day tickets.
Going through the left entry tunnel once in the park, we could see the Matterhorn rising above the buildings of Main Street. Visiting the world’s most important theme park had been a dream of mine for 10+ years, but until recently, I felt that going there was still many years away. It truly was surreal to finally step into a place that I had obsessively studied for so long.
My first Disneyland attraction ever was the Main Street Fire Engine. It was after rounding Town Square, on the Fire Engine, that I saw Sleeping Beauty Castle for the first time. My family hadn’t arrived near Rope Drop that day, so it wasn’t too crowded as we made our way down the street, passing facades that almost felt like “old friends” to me.
When we were later back in Town Square, my family took a Grand Circle Tour on the Disneyland Railroad. The Main Street Train Station is just as iconic as SBC to me.
There weren’t many surprises on this trip for me, but it was fun seeing through the eyes of the rest of my family too, who really had no idea what to expect most of the time. Take the Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas on the Railroad, for example… you don’t see something like that at WDW! I loved these Walt-era displays, and the scale of the Primeval World was especially impressive.
After a full day at the park with my family, I had the next full day to myself while they visited the beach. 
That day, I did get there at rope drop, and luckily, it was the least-crowded day of the trip, giving me lots of time to admire details and take pictures. 
During our four days at Walt’s park, I made sure to ride all the different Main Street Vehicles. 
This was a little difficult, as they would close for the day at noon except for the Horse-Drawn Streetcar.
I don’t know this family, but it was nice to see them having a special moment on the upper level of the Omnibus. I took this picture right before I forced them out so I could get the best view. ;-)
It was a trip seeing all the Main Street facades from a higher level, and very few people ride the vehicles down to Town Square compared to the other direction.
One Main Street Vehicle I did not get to ride was the Horse-Drawn Fire Wagon.
The Horse-Drawn Streetcar was new to me, though.
"Oops, we harnessed the horse to the wrong end of the Streetcar!!"
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was enjoyable even if just for its history, and you know I loved the Disneyland 1955 model in the lobby.
The performance I saw was sparsely attended, with less than 20 people in the theater. The electric scooters that make an obnoxious truck backup sound couldn’t be avoided in the Opera House, which I found humorous.
The Disney Gallery next door had some thoughtful pieces, like this bas-relief model of Walt’s apartment.
Since my trip was in early July, the plantings in Town Square were of appropriate patriotic coloring.
I followed the Disneyland Band down Main Street. They are a high-energy marching band, which I think is a change from the past.
I also saw the All-American College Band perform at the Flag Retreat Ceremony with the Dapper Dans.
In the Penny Arcade, I made full use of Walt Disney’s Orchestrion when I could
. My favorite time I dropped a quarter in it was after the fireworks when the Candy Palace was packed and chaotic. The Orchestrion started blasting “God Bless America,” only adding to the mayhem!!
The quaint Main Street Cinema was fun to check out, and I’m impressed that it has remained intact for so long.
With turn-of-the-century playing, it was wonderful to wander through Main Street, checking out the tribute windows and interiors of the different shops, which all seemed to be unique.
Of course, I had to seek out the infamous “Test Wall,” which may have been used to test different brick designs during the park’s construction, but maybe not.
Another thing I had to find was the Coke Corner half red, half white lightbulb that ensures the pattern doesn’t skip a color!
I saw the Dapper Dans performing several times in front of the Fire Station and on the China Closet porch. Here they are singing “A Pirate’s Life For Me.”
My dad’s friend had placed a magnetic Geocache underneath one of these mailboxes recently, but I’m sure it will be found and removed soon.
I think I might have taken too many pictures! I am going to try and post a new part of this trip report every other week, so it doesn’t stretch out for too long. Next up... Adventureland and New Orleans Square!

17 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Great post, Andrew! I love your photography. First of all, you might feel like you took too many photos, but you definitely didn't post too many. The more, the better....in my opinion, anyway.

It looks like you really saw it all, from "test wall" to "half-painted light bulb" to the Orchestrion! You even captured some details that I have never noticed before, like that beaver on the side of the DL mailbox.

I am so happy that Disneyland still has it's Main St. Cinema. They did try turning it into a shop at one point (like they did at WDW), but fortunately that did not last very long.

I particularly like your photo of the "backsides" of the DL Band members and the costumed characters. It gives the illusion that you were in a DL parade, and that was the view in front of you.

That model of the 1955 DL used to sit flat on the floor of the Opera House, and you could walk all the way around it. It was built for DL's 50th anniversary, but I'm glad that they didn't get rid of it after the anniversary. That niche where it's located today, used to be the spot where the animatronic owl would talk to guests about Disney's "Nature Films." And a funny fact about the model....when it was built, someone had swapped the Tomorrowland buildings with one another and had also placed them backwards. It took them quite a while to correct the mistake.

Speaking of backwards, the horse in that one Horse-Drawn Streetcar pic is facing the wrong direction, because they were getting ready to move the vehicle off the street and take it backstage. But you probably knew that already! Maybe you even watched them do it.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to ride all of the Main St. vehicles, including sitting on the upper level of the Omnibus. That way, you got the full E.J. Peaker/Osmond Brothers experience. Sorry, I can't look at the Omnibus, and not think of them!

That is a really nice shot of the Primeval World dinosaurs. They can be tricky to photograph. I have never been able to get a good shot of them.

In your LAX photo (I've kind of been working backwards through your post, with my comments), you have a view of the construction of the track/beam for the new airport People Mover, which I think is supposed to open next year.

And I love your shot out of the airplane window, showing Downtown Los Angeles. We can even see City Hall! Also visible in your photo is the huge art deco Sears building, built in 1927.

I really enjoyed this post, Andrew. I am happy that you finally got to take the vacation, that your family had been planning for the past 2+ years. I am definitely looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip!

TokyoMagic! said...

P.S. I forgot to mention that I also enjoyed all of your photos of the flowers and landscaping!

Nanook said...

Andrew-
Let me second what Tokyo said - your photos really capture the feeling of the Park. Also some really unique angles and 'subjects'. Am looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

Major Pepperidge said...

Whoo-hoo, I am excited to see your 11-part series! I’m just disappointed that it is a 20-part series, but I guess I’ll just have to deal with it.

I love that great photo of downtown L.A. from your airplane, I never think to take photos out of the window of an airplane. Dumb, I know. Did the LAX Theme Building seem smaller than you expected?

I hope the rest of your family enjoyed the trip as much as you did. Your photos are excellent! In many of the photos it doesn’t even look like the crowds are too bad, which is awesome. I can only imagine how strange it must have felt to see so many familiar sights after looking at hundreds of photos of them for years and years.

The Grand Canyon Diorama (and Primeval World) is still one of my favorite features, I’ve always been surprised that they didn’t add something like it to the Florida train ride. So cool that you rode all the the operating Main Street Vehicles, something that I have never done! In fact it is clear that you made a point to enjoy the “little things” that so many people don’t appreciate.

Why WAS the horse harnessed to the back of the Streetcar?? People who go see Mr. Lincoln should take off their mouse ears. Just sayin’.

I know people like the high-energy marching band, though I am one of the grumps who feels that it isn’t appropriate for a turn-of-the-century theme. But nobody cares what I think!

Cool that you even enjoyed the Orchestrion. And even the half red/half white lightbulb. How many people take a photo of that each day?

I actually wonder how long it would take for that Geochache to be found! Who would even look there?!

You definitely didn’t take too many pictures, I would have happily looked at twice as many. Even THRICE as many. Thanks Andrew!

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm just disappointed that it is a 20-part series, obviously I mean that I am disappointed that it ISN'T a 20-part series!!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Andrew, I've been looking forward to your first Disneyland post, and am not disappointed. I LOVE all your pictures and comments! Viewing everything from your eyes and perspective, I can see you DO have some 'vintage Disneyland' running through your veins. That makes me very happy. Maybe Major Pepperidge [and GDB] was a good influence, after all? ;oD

I'm looking forward to seeing ALL your pictures and hearing every single detail. You always have a fun way of making your reader feel like they are there with you. Please DO share ALL your pictures, and keep those posts coming. 11 is NOT enough.

Thank you, Andrew!

Anonymous said...

Great photos and I enjoyed the commentary. Looking forward to the other posts.

-DW

Stu29573 said...

Wow! I am really excited by this series! I agree, the more pictures the better! I also like how you put in subtle references to the differences with WDW without beating a dead horse.
Bravo! I can't wait for the next one!

JB said...

Really nice photos, Andrew! Well-framed with good composition. Crisp and colorful. Excellent lighting. The photo with the Omnibus on the right and the bright orange flower on the left is especially nice. And I'm enjoying your commentary! :-)
I suppose it would be hard to take a 'bad' photo at a Disney park but I'm sure I could manage to do it.

Like you, I enjoyed seeing the 1955 model/map of Disneyland. I studied it for several minutes.

I see Donald forgot his pants again. While Chip & Dale didn't even bother to get dressed at all!

Beautiful shot of the Orchestrion!

Best photo of the red & white Coke Corner lightbulb I've seen!

Interesting instruments the Dapper Dans are holding. What do they do?

Thanks so much for these photos and commentary, Andrew. Looking forward to making our way through the park with you!

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I really took pictures of everything, including almost every Main Street window. Walking around doing things like that was just as fun for me as riding an attraction! I see that the mailbox is from Pennsylvania! I wonder how often they are still used? Everyone got pretty excited when the Disneyland Band came down Main St. with the characters because aside from the “Cavalcade” they do, it was pretty much as close as you could get to a daytime parade.

Swapping the Tomorrowland buildings sounds like a prank. If I had arranged the model, I would have switched the Matterhorn and Sleeping Beauty Castle. No one would notice. I really had no idea why the horse was facing the other way, so thanks for letting me know!

Can you believe I had never seen “Disneyland Showtime?” I had to look it up to watch the Osmonds’ performance you mentioned, and it’s practically the greatest thing ever. Well maybe not as awesome as the Kids of the Kingdom singing “This Land Is Your Land.” ;-) Thanks for pointing out some of the LA landmarks. I saw the signs for the People Mover and was surprised that they didn’t have one already like a lot of airports do. I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and thanks for such a nice comment!

Andrew said...

Nanook, thanks. I’m still working on my photography skills, but some images did turn out well.

Andrew said...

Major Pepperidge, if you read Sue’s comment, then you’ll see that I might be forced to make it a 50-part series. ;-) The Theme Building was a little smaller than I thought it would be. Maybe some people are expecting it to be the height of an Air Traffic Control tower?

There was one day when I got lucky with crowd levels at the park, but on a couple of days, it was packed. Main Street was always pretty quiet in the afternoon compared to the other lands. Definitely the best part about having so much time was seeing everything in detail and doing some things several times.

TokyoMagic! commented that the horse is harnessed to the back when it’s taken backstage. Taking off your mouse ears isn’t enough at Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln for me--I stood up with my hand over my heart the whole time. Maybe the Geocache will last a while without being found. That reminds me… I plugged my camera battery charger into an outlet at about 10:00 one night at Rancho Del Zocalo, hid it behind a chair, and it was still there when I came back 30 minutes later! Thanks so much for commenting.

Andrew said...

Sue, of course I have lots of vintage Disneyland in my blood! I love the history of amusement parks most of all. You are right that I need to share every single detail and that 11 posts are not enough. After I get through all the land I will start posting my thoughts about every single restroom, water fountain, and pressed penny machine in the park. ;-)

DW, thanks for reading and I’m happy that you liked the first part.

Stu29573, admittedly, I compared DL to Magic Kingdom when I had no idea what else to say. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Andrew said...

JB, I don’t know who designed the 1955 model, but I’m amazed at the level of detail going so far to include things like the original Casey Jr. trestles and the streetcar barn behind City Hall. I’d love to be the maintenance person assigned to replace the red/white bulb! Hopefully they never forget about it. The Dapper Dans are holding “organ chimes.” Each one has a different pitch, and they play them at WDW too. You can look up videos of them on YouTube. Thanks for the compliments on my pictures, and you know I’m looking forward to the rest of the posts too. :-)

TokyoMagic! said...

Andrew, I definitely understand your thinking on taking so many photos. When I would go to the Tokyo Disney parks, I tried to document every restaurant, shop, widow display, etc.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but now that Sue and the Major have already said it....I could definitely handle more than 11 trip report posts about your time in California! But then, maybe you can't. We don't want you to burn out on posting about your trip. Even if you reach a point where you feel that you are done talking about your trip, there's nothing to say that you can't revisit the subject again at a later date. I'm just glad that for now, we know that we have at least 10 more of your "trip report" posts coming in the future. I'm excited to hear about your visits to Knott's and Magic Mountain, as well!

I have photos of cast members taking the Horse-Drawn Streetcar backstage, with the horse hooked up "backwards." I was going to look for those pics, but then I remembered that the blog, "Vintage DL Tickets" had posted some similar photos. I searched his blog, but of course, I was not able to find them. If I am able to locate my photos, I will send them to you.

I plugged my camera battery charger into an outlet at about 10:00 one night at Rancho Del Zocalo, hid it behind a chair, and it was still there when I came back 30 minutes later!

You are so lucky! If Disney catches you doing that, they charge you $10 for every minute that your charger or phone was plugged into their outlet! ;-)

I forgot to ask you....when you were in the Disney Gallery, did you notice the old bank vault which was leftover from when that space was operating as a real bank?


JG said...

Andrew, this is splendid stuff. I am so happy to see that you made the trip you have been looking forward to for so long.

Thanks for generously sharing your excellent photos and dialog with us, I am rejoicing with you. The more the better, IMHO.

I'm glad also you had a long visit, as you say, time enough to see it all and do some things more than once. Good to see all the secret high points of Main Street make an appearance too. The light bulb is the kind of thing no one believes possible until they see it. Who would do such a thing just for the sake of symmetry? And yet, there it is.

I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Best regards!

JG

Andrew said...

Test