Thursday, September 1, 2022

Adventureland and New Orleans Square at Disneyland

The tiny walkable area of Disneyland’s Frontierland (next part!) surprised me most, but both Adventureland and New Orleans Square were small and quaint too. Out of all the lands, I probably spent the least time in Adventureland because it was always congested.

Although Disneyland lacks some of my favorite animatronic shows that Magic Kingdom has, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room was wonderfully charming as always.
I enjoyed the preshow, but the tiki idols weren't lowering from Tangaroa's branches.
Wake up, Jose!

I saw the Tiki Room once a day, and it was awesome to see the show where Audio-Animatronics had its start. My favorite song was the flowers’ chant.

Just like Mr. Lincoln, during the first couple of times I watched the show, the theater was practically empty. During the last time I saw it, though, it was a full house.

The Magic Fountain--sitting atop a counter intended for the restaurant that evolved into the Tiki Room--blew me away, as the WDW Tiki Room lost its fountain years ago.

I like how people are wandering through the theater exit in this picture… “oh, what’s this?!”
The Adventureland Bazaar is an interesting combination of merchandise shop, pressed penny emporium, and restaurant seating area.

I knew the Jungle Cruise was squeezed between Indiana Jones Adventure and Tiki Room, but I had no idea how little space there was between the Adventureland walkway and the JC dock. The queue is well-designed for such a tight footprint.
Like most attractions, I rode it several times, including once at night, making it a neat experience by flashlight.

Looks like a skipper is in training.
Sitting in the back of the boat, I was able to capture some unusual angles.
It was amazing to think of the historical importance that the Jungle Cruise holds, like almost all Disneyland attractions!
Probably the park’s most intense ride, Indiana Jones Adventure was experiencing some maintenance issues, with the snake and finale (rolling boulder) scene both not working. Even with that, it was still impressive to a first-timer like me.

 The standby line was entirely outside, but as the temple entrance was the merge point with Lightning Lane, they let you walk quickly through the expansive indoor queue.
One Adventureland attraction I missed was the former Tarzan's Treehouse, which you can see covered in scaffolding in the above picture. I'll be interested to see what it becomes.

Pirates of the Caribbean was one of the first attractions that my family rode. I was expecting the drawn-out cave scenes at the ride’s start, but those atmospheric scenes really do take you to another place. 
My favorite part of the ride’s first half might be the dark tunnel following the cave scenes, when all is quiet. I loved the voice that says “No fear have ye…” before you emerge to see the Wicked Wench, cannons firing.

Strangely, all the “chase” turntables were working the first time I rode Pirates, but later in the week, just one of them was turning. The attraction had just reopened from a months-long refurbishment at the end of June, however, so all of the sets were properly lit. I also loved the gunfight finale scene, another thing that WDW’s PotC lacks.

I got my family reservations to eat in the Blue Bayou, which was one of my mom’s favorite parts of the trip. It was enjoyable to watch the Pirates boats floating by in the shadows, and it’s funny to think that several hundred people passed while we ate dinner, completely unaware. My one sister got the Monte Cristo sandwich, and she didn’t know what she was getting herself into!
The streets of New Orleans Square were a little crowded, but I loved seeing the area for the first time, knowing it set a new standard for many of the lands that followed it. 
Although the Court of Angels has been closed for a long time, I was still able to get a taste of the smaller Royal Courtyard next to Pirates.
I took the below picture to capture the faux ship masts attached to the NOS rooftops, a fascinating use of forced perspective. 
My favorite Disneyland attraction might just be the Haunted Mansion. 

In a park with such an amazing lineup of darkrides, its atmosphere is unparalleled. I did it upwards of seven times, including when there was no line, meaning I could be in and out in ten minutes. 
It feels shorter than the Magic Kingdom version overall, but the Disneyland Stretching Room is better. One of my favorite details is how when the Ghost Host says, “There’s always my way” and the lights go out, you can feel the elevator hitting the lower level hard below your feet. Stuff like that can’t be imitated in any online POV video.

It was interesting seeing Disneyland maintenance in action. The “let me out” coffin wasn’t lifting for the first few days I rode the Mansion, but it was fixed by the end of the week.
I'll be doing a full post of nighttime pictures eventually, but I couldn't wait to share this shot of a full moon above the Haunted Mansion.
The Disneyland Railroad is useful for transportation as well as sightseeing. I just can’t believe that Disney has let the Walt Disney World Railroad sit idle for years by comparison.

They were running three trains on the track most days, and it was fun watching all the engines chug past.

Want to be considered a genius by your friends or family? Tell them the fun fact that the NOS Station telegraph spells out “Ward Kimball sucks.” (Does anyone get that joke??)

Up next, we’ll be visiting Frontierland and Critter Country. We’ll also soon be taking a side trip to Knott’s Berry Farm in two parts. It took me a little longer to finish this post than I would have liked, but I hope to have the next one up by September 18th at least. Thanks for reading!

15 comments:

MIKE COZART said...

Great pictures Andrew! I love getting impressions of Disneyland who don’t visit on a regular basis . It reminds me of why I fell in love with the place so long ago. I used too love to take friends and family members too who don’t visit Disneyland , Epcot or Walt Disney World often…. But now it’s not as fun because I feel like I end up spending so much time explaining why something is the way it is …. And now so frequently WHAT used to be there or WHAT was suppose to be there !! I felt bad with sone friends who had never been to EPCOT CENTER …. And I wanted them to love it for the reasons I did …. But so much of it was gone. I had to explain about Horizons , World of Motion ….the Hydrolaters at the Living Seas …. And they couldn’t understand WHY Disney removed those things or didn’t update them …. Then I felt bad that I might be swaying their impressions of Epcot . Then I felt sad that I had to explain how great the past EPCOT was ….

Similar thing with New Orleans Square …. And the obviously bland forgotten Tomorrowland…. Then I felt old and grumpy.

Post as many pictures as you can !

TokyoMagic! said...

Once again, I love your photography, Andrew. And I like the angle on that first pic, showing the Adventureland sign, but also showing part of the park's waterway system. You were able to get some great shots of the Tiki Room's interior. I especially like the shot that includes the fountain and all four of the "hosts/co-hosts." I am so glad that the DL version still has it's fountain! That is sad that Disney did not restore the fountain to the WDW version, after Iago and Zazu were kicked out.

At one point, the Adventureland Bazaar was not quite as big, because the "Big Game Shoot" shooting gallery took up part of the space. But you probably knew that already!

That's too bad about so many things not working in the attractions (Tangaroa's tikis, the chasing pirates, and the rolling boulder and snake in Indy). Unfortunately, I hear this complaint from so many people, after their visits to the park. I don't remember that being a regular thing, years ago. I think it's very sad that today, it has become a regular thing.

What happened to your sister, with her Monte Cristo sandwich? Did she end up being covered in powdered sugar, after eating it?

I'm glad to see a pic of the ship's mast, above the NOS buildings. I have been wondering in recent years, if it was still there. I believe that was a detail that was added in the eighties or nineties (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), but I do think it is a nice effect.

Ha, ha! I think I am getting your Ward Kimball joke. It's because he wouldn't give back the train station from "So Dear To My Heart," when Walt wanted it for his park, right? Sorry, Walt....but you can't take back a gift after you've given it!

Thanks for another great trip report, Andrew!

JB said...

Wow! Those are the best interior shots of the Tiki Room I've seen. Great lighting- moodily dark, but you can still things. And in Focus.

In the Jungle Cruise picture of the crumbling temple archway, it took me a second to spot the crocodile lying on the slab on the left. And it took me quite a while to spot the other croc on the right!

In the Treehouse scaffolding pic, it looks like they're using a 'background black' tarp to cover the renovation work, instead of the usual 'go away green. (Or maybe it just looks black because it's in shadow?)

Wonderful shots of Pirates of the Caribbean. The Blue Bayou interior image looks great! Strange, about the turntables not working, so soon after the refurb.

Really nice (and spooky) photo of the Hitchhiking Ghosts.
The "Let me outa here!" coffin set is one of my favorite things in the ride. The dingy colors, the shrivelled flowers, and the overall moldy appearance are all perfect. Not to mention the ghastly hands and voice!

The Railroad is great for getting from one side of the Park to the other in a lot less time than it would to walk, especially when it's really crowded. The Skyway ride provided the same opportunity. Unfortunately... it's not there anymore.

Really good shot of the Adventureland entrance! Quite a few mouse-ear hats being worn by the guests.

Looking forward to your next installment, Andrew!

Major Pepperidge said...

Andrew, oh boy, part two! I’m sorry Adventureland was so congested, but yes, it can get pretty bad on crowded days (which is most days now). I was wondering what animatronic shows WDW had that Disneyland lacked, and realized that they still have their Carousel of Progress and Country Bear Jamboree. Are there others?

I hate hearing when effects aren’t working on rides, such as the baby tikis descending from the tree branches. Funny about the empty Tiki Room shows, the times I have seen it, it has always been packed. I’m glad that it was a full house on at least one day.

“Pressed penny emporium”, I am a nutty collector, but the appeal of pressed pennies goes over my head. I don’t need any! I’m glad you rode the Jungle Cruise during the day and at night, it really is a different experience. Love that photo of the “Cambodian ruins”; Or are they Indian?

Argh, the snake AND the boulder weren’t working on Indy?? What the heck? That ride has more technical issues, it’s nuts.

I agree with you, I love the atmospheric scenes at the beginning of “Pirates”, and I do love the voice that says, “Pssst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course…”. The legendary Monte Cristo, Mr. X told me that if he eats one, he has to go home afterward!

SO COOL that you got to do the Haunted Mansion seven times, with no line! Man, it’s been a while since I haven’t had to wait with a bunch of sweaty, noisy people who won’t be quiet. Love that dark and moody phot of the “Let me out!” casket.

I’m sorry to hear that the WDW Railroad is apparently not taken care of the way the DLRR is. Mr. X loves the big trains in Florida.

I don’t get the “Ward Kimball Sucks” joke!

THANK YOU, Andrew!

MIKE COZART said...

I wasn’t positive about the Ward Kimball comment , but I’m assuming it had to do with :

Ward refused to give the Grizzly Flats depot prop back to Walt for use at Disneyland….. Ward had spent so much money completing the 3 sided prop into a fully finished structure.

Ward was responsible for the first Frontierland telegraph recording when the station was relocated across the tracks in 1966. The message was several dirty limericks - and Lillian Disney who worked for the Union Pacific RR at one time was able to translate the railroad used land line message …. And Walt was mega pissed when he found out what Ward had done - and told Ward to don’t ever pull a gag like that in Disneyland!!

Ward recorded the very first DL&Santa Fe RR depot calls ….. and Jack Wagoner had to replace them with new ones ( the ones we hear today ) with the updated announcements.


So ….. I think it has to do with one of those three things …

Anonymous said...

These are great, Andrew! I haven't seen Disneyland with my own eyes since 1973 (although I've been to WDW about nine times since then). I keep saying that I need to go back to Disneyland, but life keeps being...well...life. Will I ever get back? I have no idea. Sigh.
Anyway, thanks for going for me! So far you're doing your trip exactly like I would do mine, so thank you!
I can't wait for the next post!

Andrew said...

Mike Cozart, that is the toughest part about learning the history of amusement parks… you often can’t appreciate things for what they are now. I guess that everyone just wants their favorite places to stay the same forever. And I’m sure that we often make our fondest memories as a child. I love your story of taking friends to Epcot for the first time and having to explain the “embarrassment.” I love to talk to anyone about old rides, but it’s hard to get someone to realize how great something used to be just through words.


And of course, you know the Ward Kimball reference! ;-) I was thinking of him refusing to give the depot back in particular. I didn’t know that he recorded the old railroad conductor calls… I’ll have to see if I can look them up.

Andrew said...

TokyoMagic!, I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. It’s taken a long time, but I finally figured out how to take half-decent nighttime/dark photos. Seeing broken effects made me think about how much maintenance every single attraction takes, which then made my brain hurt. At Kennywood, we can fill out a “repair order” in the rides office, but they are much less diligent about fixing things than Disney is. ;-)

My sister was fine with the Monte Cristo sandwich, even though she didn’t finish it. She just had no idea it was deep-fried and covered in sugar! Haha… you actually understood my extremely obscure Ward Kimball joke! :-)

Andrew said...

JB, the Tiki Room is so fun!! For 15 minutes or so, you’re transported to a different place. I’m pretty sure they were using a green tarp on the treehouse, though it’s hard to tell in that photo. Most of my Haunted Mansion photos didn’t turn out very well. It’s so hard to not use the flash! Walking through Tomorrowland, I definitely tried to picture what it used to look like with the Skyway and Peoplemover running overhead.

Andrew said...

Major Pepperidge, I was only thinking of Carousel of Progress and the Country Bear Jamboree, but I guess you might be able to count the Hall of Presidents too. I don’t think they’ll ever change the Tiki Room, but the Carousel of Progress and CBJ seem like they may be on borrowed time. I have a lot of pressed pennies, and I did get a couple of Disneyland ones. TokyoMagic can show you his collection! ;-)

I was able to try a bit of my sister’s Monte Cristo, and it was good, though I was afraid that I would get sick if I ordered it myself. The Haunted Mansion changing portrait hall is neat (again, different from Florida!), but I agree that it gets old quickly when you’re shoulder-to-shoulder with a hundred people. I’m sure the WDW Railroad is still well taken care of--it’s been closed for several years to build the Tron coaster in Tomorrowland. I don’t think they would ever let that happen to “Walt’s railroad!” I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and thanks for commenting!

Andrew said...

Stu29573, I can't believe that you haven’t been to Disneyland since 1973. Maybe you can go back next year and make a triumphant 50-year return!

Anonymous said...

Andrew, this is my favorite area of Disneyland, with my favorite rides and attractions—and you’ve done a great job covering it! I’m enjoying all your beautiful photos, and imagining I’m there.

I’m glad you and your family enjoyed Blue Bayou. No restaurant compares, when it comes to atmosphere. They’ve really cut back on menu choices, unfortunately, but the crowds keep coming.

I’m looking forward to your next post!

—Sue


Andrew said...

Sue, Fantasyland was probably my favorite land to be in, but I agree that the attractions in Adventureland/NOS are the best.

My whole family commented on the limited menu at the Blue Bayou. I guess that helps them maximize profit and minimize wait times. :-I

Anonymous said...

Andrew, I'm late to the party, but wanted to make sure to say thank you for sharing your photos and experiences.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Broken Ride Mechanism is in dire need of an overhaul, and is irritating to the point of wanting to skip the ride. Every time I have been on it recently (2015 forward) it has either been down completely, or long holdups in the line because it broke while we were waiting.

The (relatively minor) glitches in Pirates and HM are pale in comparison, but still annoying, considering the price of admission, and in the case of the HM, all the time spent screwing around with the awful Halloween overlay (a crayon mustache on the Mona Lisa). Time would be better spent fixing the original stuff that's broken.

I'm really enjoying this series, and am so happy you got to visit.

JG

Andrew said...

JG, Indiana Jones was still impressive since I had never ridden it before, but some of the broken effects are painfully noticeable. And as you mention, the ride system is clearly in need of some work as well. Despite a few problems in Mansion and Pirates, I think it's still safe to say they're pretty much perfect examples of theme park design... for most of the year, at least.